15' 0" Prospector Ranger

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Ed Houston

Many boats

Post by Ed Houston »

My Buddy and his boat.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Ed, that looks like a great picture, would you have a larger version that could be posted to share with everyone?
shawnwaite

Web site with photos of my Prospector Ranger

Post by shawnwaite »

after many "years" of construction... and over a year in the water.. the canoe is old news.. but I just finished making the web page for it. (50 hrs? over 3 months)

Almost 600 photos of canoe construction..
12 months worth of consecutive paddling accounts... (in Maine!)
Two paddle making galleries..
Aerial photos of paddling put-ins...
Recreational photos of a years worth of paddling..
4 short movies...
and a guessing game to boot..

http://shawnwaite.com/canoe/

Shawn Waite
Prospector Ranger Builder/Owner.
I still have sawdust up my nose.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Shawn,

That is a great looking boat. The website is awesome too. I noticed many pictures that will be helpful to other builders. Great job and thanks for sharing.
Inta

Post by Inta »

I just finished my ranger and thought i might share some pictures of the canoe. The hull is made of pine, gunwales are birch, seats and yoke are oak. It still needs varnishing but I have a long winter ahead of me. It just has to be varnished by spring. I hope to get some detail pictures as well to post.

Anyway it was an experience like no other. I now have to be careful not to catch the bug to build many more. :laughing Although I think it is already too late...Image
Inta

Post by Inta »

Sorry about that.

I have now made a photobucket account. Hopefully you can see the pictures.

IndrekImage
ImageImage
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Ah yes, very lovely! I really like that blonde wood!
lipor

Post by lipor »

here's a few of mine, it's slow going but i dont have a ton of time since i'm at school for most of the year...

Image[/url]
Sonshine777

Post by Sonshine777 »

Trying again.

Here is my Ranger (first boat)

Last edited by Sonshine777 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Tom, I am afraid you will have to do better than that. Your 3 links only take us to a "Log-in" page which requires a username and password. There must be some way for you to post the URL of the photos here.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That is a really nice looking Ranger, thanks for sharing the pics.
Sonshine777

Post by Sonshine777 »

Glen Smith wrote:That is a really nice looking Ranger, thanks for sharing the pics.
Thanks, it is one of five boats myself and some of the fathers and sons in my Boy Scout troop (I'm Scoutmaster) are building. This is the first one finished.
Tom
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I see you have installed 2 thwarts which is unusual for a 15' canoe unless you spaced out the 2 thwarts so you can paddle solo while kneeling close to the center of the hull. Is this the reason for the 2 thwarts?
Sonshine777

Post by Sonshine777 »

Glen Smith wrote:I see you have installed 2 thwarts which is unusual for a 15' canoe unless you spaced out the 2 thwarts so you can paddle solo while kneeling close to the center of the hull. Is this the reason for the 2 thwarts?
Actually I have an 18' aluminum Grumman canoe and my wife likes the fact that one of the thwarts is right behind the front seat, and she can lean back on it. It was her request that I do the same on this boat (as she will be my main boating partner). So the second thwart was to balance out the look. It also helps when I carry it as I usually do it alone.
Tom
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Awesome looking boat! When my son Patrick and I went to the BSA canoebase in 2003, he was completely turned on with canoes. Even a trip to Philmont the next year didn't distract him. We spent the next year building a Redbird. Patrick (Eagle scout) turned 18 last fall and started college in Arizona yesterday. I'm still the scoutmaster of his troop (my other son is in the troop too). He spent a week paddling in Algonquin park this summer to get one last canoeing "fix" in before going to the desert.

Good luck on the rest of your canoes.
Last edited by Patricks Dad on Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com