16' 0" Prospector

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
John Caldeira

Glen

Post by John Caldeira »

I'm flattered that you'd consider building something similar to the accent stripe on my Prospector. You might do even better by checking out some of the nice designs from these old canoe catalogs:

http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/d ... index.html

John

John Caldeira

Better Links

Post by John Caldeira »

Actually, these are better links
http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/
http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/d ... mbnal.html

(Click image for a better view)

John
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Thanks for the links John. My accent stripes won't be following the sheer-line but rather the waterline. I will figure something out that might be a combination of several designs I have seen but it will be fairly plain and simple.
John Caldeira

Prospector Canoe update

Post by John Caldeira »

My Prospector 16 construction is nearing completion. I invite everyone to view some recent photos of the project:

http://www.outdoorplace.org/paddling/Pr ... ector2.htm

Sincerely,
John

druddock10@comcast.net

Just beginning my 16' Prospector

Post by druddock10@comcast.net »

Hi

I have just begun working on a 16' Prospector - in fact I just glued the first strip on last night. I think this forum will turn out to be a life saver many times along the way to finishing this canoe.

I am very impressed with the pictures from David and John. You guys are true artists.

I was interested by the comment about blending the outer stem - although that's still a ways down the road for me - I would appreciate any words of wisdom. My woodworking skills are average but hopefully will improve.

Thanks

Dave
GeirB

Three coats of epoksy finnished

Post by GeirB »

Sprouce for hull, alder and aspen in stripe, birch in stems
Image[/img]

GeirB
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Very nice looking boat, Geir!
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
GeirB

Post by GeirB »

Thanks, here is a pic of what is going to be decks.
I think the wood is called goatwillow. The white stripes are aspen.

GeirB
NewGuy

I am starting out and looking for some advice

Post by NewGuy »

Hi there, I just got a Prospector 16' set of plans for my birthday, something I have been hopeing to build for years. I am finally at a point and in a space that I am going to give it a try.

My question today (I am sure the first of several if the form members don't mind) is about building the strong back.

The step by step guide that came with the plans has good instructions and measurements for building a strongback for Bob's Special. I am wondering can I use the same measurements for the Prospector? It seems unlikely but I can't find any other instructions in the kit that seem to relate to the Prospector.

Thanks in advance.

Ted the New Guy
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Welcome aboard, NewGuy. Now that you have broken the ice, you are no longer a new guy. :thinking

A 14' strongback for a 16 foot canoe works out fine since you won't have too much overhang at the ends and you will be able to freely work on the stems without rapping your knuckles on the strongback. In general, a strongback that is 12 to 24 inches shorter than the canoe works very well.

Do you not have the book "CanoeCraft"? The answers to most building questions are covered in that book and of course the rest are here.

If they haven't revised the booklet that comes with the plans then I suggest you modify two measurements: the gables are shown as being 8" X 10" (8 pieces) and 8" X 8" (3 pieces). Change these to 8" X 8" (8 pieces) and 8" X 6.5" (3 pieces). This will allow the tabletop to overhang a bit more on each side providing enough room for clamps when you install the station mold blocks or for any other clamping purposes that might arise.
NewGuy

re strongback issue

Post by NewGuy »

Thanks Glen

I appreciate the encouragement and advice. I like the modifications to the strong back to provide a clamping surface, I will incorporte that.

I don't have the book yet, but it is on order I hope to see it soon.

Thanks again for the help. :)

Ted The formerly new guy
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Ted,

Welcome. I recently finished my Prospector. You will really enjoy building this canoe. As Glen said, build your strongback a little shorter than the canoe. The Prospector has high stems which can cause some trouble later on in the building. I had to cut my strongback ends off during construction to make it easier.

Also, read the BOOK before you start cutting your forms, then read it again. In Canoecraft it mentions cutting your plywood sheets in half before cutting your molds so you can do two at a time because it is a symetrical hull. Don't do it! Some of the Prospectors station molds are taller than 24". (The book mentions this fact, but I didn't notice the first time I read it)

Have fun, ask lots of questions and post some pictures when you can.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
ealger

Prospector

Post by ealger »

Ted, take a look at David Bartlett's Prospector photo IM000994. This shows his stem mold sitting above the end of the strongback. Making your strongback at 14' will allow you to extend the end of your inner stem below the strongback top surface. ( See David's link to his fine photos above).

When you cut your stem mold, don't cut out the shear line notch at the stem but just cut a narrow cut to indicate the position of the shear. Doing this will allow you to use Glen's method of anchoring the inner stem to the stem mold with a single screw into the stem mold below the shear line. I think Glen has a picture somewhere.
Ed...
Ed Alger
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Picture? Did someone say picture? :thinking

OK, here you go, the "woodscrew through inner stem beyond sheerline" picture.
Ain't technology great!?

Oh yeah, time to switch this discussion over to the "Builders' Forum".
NewGuy

overwhelmed

Post by NewGuy »

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

The photos are all very inspiring. :)

I am looking forward to shareing mine once I get started.