16' 0" Prospector

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
ID Canoeblder

Re: 16' 0" Prospector

Post by ID Canoeblder »

Thanks, Jim. It is supposed to represent a sun burst, or sun's rays. Maple and walnut, I like how it turned out, as does Megan.

I've only built stemless, as I started with Gilpatrick's book before I found this site and Ted's book. Going to have to break the line, though, as the next project is a Venture kayak from Ted's plans. I have a home made steamer, so I'm looking forward to the challenge. Greg
When people find out what's really important in life, there's going to be a shortage of canoes.
Kliff

Post by Kliff »

I'm at the final trim phase of my first stripper build, a Prospector 16. Maybe I should have left more room for error on my scupper size & placement but I didn't, and I'm not happy with the way the seat frames line up with the scuppers. I could make them work with hanging them, but I'm leaning towards changing to cleats.

Perhaps I'm over thinking seat placement, but I'm concerned about getting the seats in the right place. My seat frames are contoured, with a 1" drop at center. I'm planning 9" off the bottom to the lowest part of the seat, spaced at 43" forward and aft of centerline to front edge of seats. I'm planning to drop it in the local lake this weekend before attaching cleats to confirm it, but does this sound right?
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Always get a chuckle meeting folks on different forums.

In a tandem, the seat placement (within reason) isn't that critical, I would follow the plans placements and only change that if you figure that won't work for you.

Think about getting a couple of milk crates (or equivalent) and place them where the seats are supposed to be ... then you have a more realistic "seat" to judge from .... they are higher than what you plan, but the prospector is very stable and you are looking more for leg room etc, lower seats are just going to add stability.

Brian