17' 0" Nomad

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

17' 0" Nomad

Post by Joan and Ted »

Use this forum to post information specific to your 17' 0" Nomad project. Use POST REPLY when posting information. Please stay on topic. For general boatbuilding discussions, please use the Builders Forum instead.
Dave B.

Molds

Post by Dave B. »

I've got all the molds cut out and mocked up on the strongback. The stem molds are on plum and level.
I notice that when I take a piece of stripping ( 9 foot or so ) and lay it on the molds it doesn't touch the full edge of # 3 or 4. :( All others look great.
In all the pictures I don't see where they are curved or angled toward the stem molds.
Should I leave this alone as this only happens on the sides, not where it curves toward the bottom.

Thanks!

Dave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Dave, I have had this happen to me also and I just ignored it because I had verified that all of the molds were cut as per the plans, properly set up and aligned on every axis. You say this happens on molds #3 & #4. What if you hold the batten against molds # 2 & #5, do you still get a gap at 3 & 4? Is the gap very large or very small?

Any further construction problems should be posted on the "Builders Forum" as it will attract more responses there.
Dave B.

Post by Dave B. »

Thank you for the reply. I'll check the forms later today.
I was going to put this on the builders forum, but thought it needed to go here.
Did you see my question on the Permission wood for the outside stem ?
Sure makes some beautiful golf club heads.
I'm grateful for the help.

Dave
awedzing

17" Nomad building project online

Post by awedzing »

Hello,

I think I have to post my buitldingproject here. I have made a website of my Nomad.
Best regards,

Alex (Sweden)

Canoeing the biggest river in Sweden? Look at www.klaralvenkanot.com

Seeing the Nomad build? Look at http://prive.route62.se/red%20cedar%20strip%20canoe/
Woodchuck

Woodchuck's Nomad

Post by Woodchuck »

Hi Ron...

Just for the record, I got my web site working and although just the preliminaries, it shows what I have done so far...

http://nomad17.home.comcast.net

CYA, Joe :eyebrows :eyebrows :eyebrows
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hey Joe, progress! That's great, keep us posted.
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

Just a website update for my Nomad17... Added the making the stems and the making the accent stripe... more to follow...

http://nomad17.home.comcast.net /

CYA, Joe
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That is going to make a really nice accent stripe Joe!
Woodchuck

Stripping at the stem...

Post by Woodchuck »

Well, I'm up to within a few strips of approaching the top of the interior stem. I don't fully understand how I finish off the strips at the end of the stem! Canoecraft says that when the strips are about flat with the stem, stop and redo the centerline and proceed doing one side at a time. My stem is about 1/8" higher than the station mold and the last strip that will make contact with the stem will be very close to the last strip before going over centerline. Do I cut the strip to fit the stem? What goes with what and what is on top, etc. Are there any photo's showing what to look for as the book does not have critical pictures of this area. Waiting replies before proceeding, OK I have 4 more strips per side before I have to know what I am doing... HELP PLEASE...
CYA, Joe
:thinking :thinking :thinking
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

So far you have most likely been cutting off the excess length of the strips square across the face of the inner stem, right?

At one point this will create a surface that is too wide to be covered by the outer stems. This usually occurs about 10" before you reach the inboard end of the inner stem. At this point you should start to cut the excess off the strips parallel to what will be the centerline along the bottom of the hull. In fact, you will have to cut the strip ends as though you were mitering the strip of one side with the strip on the opposite side but you don't have to make a perfect miter joint. You will later cut a mortice in this portion of the strips to accept the outer stems.

This pic shows the strips cut off square across the face of the inner stem in the bottom portion then mitered in the upper portion.

This one shows it from a lower angle.

This kayak pic gives yet another view.

You can view a few more pics at this link: http://groups.msn.com/CanoesKayaks/outerstems.msnw
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

Glen to the rescue... Hi Glen and thanks for the photo's. I saved all the pictures and enlarged them to see what's going on but I am still missing something. Yes, I am cutting the excess strips square across the stem as per the book. I laid up a few strips against the mold and near the top, they are above the stem. The one below can be butted up against the stem but I don't want to glue anything until I'm clear. I will take some photo's tomorrow after putting on a few more strips and either attach them to my forum reply or add them to my site so you can see what is concerning me, OK... More tomorrow...
CYA, Joe

ps. the concerns about the accent stripe being too thin have been dispelled and it looks much better than I had hoped. Of course, I know where the mistakes are and I'm not going to tell you, I promise..
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Yes, I am cutting the excess strips square across the stem as per the book.
As you will notice, the book is not very clear in explaining this task. Post some pics of where you are at now and I will see if I can help you out.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Joe, if you read page 134 in the revised edition of CanoeCraft, you will see that Ted mentions tapering the outer stem from the full width of 7/8" to only 3/8" starting at a certain point (which you will have to determine). Well, this point is where the strip ends have to be mitered rather than cut square across the face otherwise the outer stem will not cover the total width of exposed strip ends plus inner stem face. This portion will be morticed to receive the outer stem. I have noticed that on the boats I have built, this point is normally located about 10" before the inboard end of the inner stem.

I didn't understand this procedure when I built my first boat so the outer stem didn't cover the strip ends and I had to use thickened epoxy to compensate for the error.
Woodchuck

Another look...

Post by Woodchuck »

I went out to the garage again and looked hard at my work and have decided to add 2-4 more strips per side before taking photo's. Maybe it will become clearer as I get closer to the critical points. On the Nomad, the strips are still prety vertical, I have 11 strips on each side now, but they are going to turn or roll very quickly. Am I correct is assuming the the outer stem will be mortised into the hull strips about an inch or so before the end of the inner stem to eliminate the possibility of cutting a hole in the hull? If this is so, then I need strips to be above the inner stem. Are you saying that when I miter, those ends will be above the stem and I should make sure that they lay flat on the inner stem?
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI