17' 9" Freedom

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:22 pm

Dave,
Pretty much. I started at the shear in the middle, and found a fair curve out in each direction. It probably ended up within 1/2" of being parallel with the waterline. It worked out very well. Here is a picture from my inside glassing from this morning.

Ben

Post by Ben » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:10 pm

Here is the finished boat. I was hoping to get it in the water on Saturday, but it looks like thunderstorms on the horizon. Maybe next week.

Snowman

Post by Snowman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:42 am

Ben,

Looks great - congratluations!

PS - I hope that you can get her out that door and up the stairs - looks like a basement?
Snowman back East

Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks! Luckily it is a walk-out basement, and I made sure I would have room when I finished off my shop area.

Snowman

Post by Snowman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:21 pm

I did the exact same ting in the last house we built. It worked out nice and the house had everything I wanted. I miss it :sad

Enjoy!

Snowman
Snowman back East

Ben

Post by Ben » Sun May 09, 2010 11:57 pm

I finally got her out of the basement today and out for a test paddle. Sorry, no pics. It was just me and my 13 year old daughter and I didn't want to solo.

The good points? She paddled beautifully! She tracked straight and glided well. My daughter and I paddled a couple of sprints at the end and she is fast enough for me. Plenty stable, too!

The bad points? The sun sure brings out imperfections in the hull. You may have read my US Composites/Epifanes rant a while back. The spots where I coiuldn't get the blush off are noticable in the sunlight. I will have to sand it down and refinish it this winter. I am sure that a couple of BWCA trips this year will make me want to refinish her anyway. Believe it or not, I now wish I would have stretched her to 18 1/2' or more.

Questionable? I still don't know how much she weighs. I weigh about 240, and my old scale reads to 270. We bought a new digital scale that reads to 440, but I can't hold still enough with the canoe on my shoulders to get the scale to read. I will have to work out a system to weigh just the boat. I have no problem picking her up and putting her on my shoulders, though. It seems to be jjust a bit heavier than the MN2 I was tripping with last summer. Maybe 55 to 60#? Definitely not the 70-80# of an aluminium.

Lastly, the name? I decided to name her "Saratoga." If you have ever spent time in Duluth, you know why. All in all I am happy with the build. This is going to be a good boat for my BWCA trips, but I need to focus on the next one. She is a lot of boat for 2 paddlers fishing, unloaded, and definitely too big to solo. I am thinking either a solo, smaller tandem, or kayak next.