17' 0" Endeavour

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
BellGuy5

Re: 17' 0" Endeavour

Post by BellGuy5 »

Thanks Glen...

I have been searching the web to see what is available but so far I have not seen anything that I like. I would like to build one from a block of foam but the shaping tool is over $70. From looking at other pictures on this forum, I think the Nimbus seat is the way to go.
KenC

Post by KenC »

I carved a custom foam seat for my Endeavour.
Out of a single 24" x 24" x 3" block of foam, I got ...
- seat;
- seat back;
- side (thigh) supports;
- a pair of roof rack cradles; and
- small bits left over for knee braces & such.

Very comfortable, never any numbness or discomfort on long paddles (up to 32km), as you sometimes hear about some commercial seats. No sloshing around from side to side during rolling practice, either.

I don't know what "the" carving tool is that costs $70. I used a bread-knife to do the rough shaping, and then a paint-stripping attachment on my drill (like the one below) for the final carving/shaping. You have to be careful because it cuts aggressively if it gets away from you, but it leaves a nice texture, kinda like suede, on the finished surface. Anyway, just posting to say that you don't necessarily have to spend $70, to carve a foam seat.

BellGuy5

Post by BellGuy5 »

Awesome, thanks...I will try this tool when it's time to do my seat.
BellGuy5

Post by BellGuy5 »

Finally finished my Endeavour 17. Here are some build pics.

https://frazerspictures.shutterfly.com/pictures/107