Non-Bear Mountain Designs

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
hzjanczewski

18.5' white guide

Post by hzjanczewski »

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm sure it will make the project go smoother. I will probably post more questions as I progress on this project and look forward to sharing sharing ideas.

Henry
Bud

Wee Lassie

Post by Bud »

Finally (almost) finished the Wee Lassie. Still have to cane the seat and finish the paddle. Sold it this weekend. I'll never get to try it out. The guy is going to hang it on the wall. :crying
Oh well, now I have to build another! :laughing :eyebrows
Bud

"Canoes don't tip. People just fall out of them!" Omer Stringer
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

She's beautiful! She'll look good on a wall too. Enjoy the next one.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Wow Bud,

It's way too pretty to hang on a wall. You should sneak in a maiden voyage before you give her up.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Thanks Randy and MT

I'd love to sneak in a voyage, but it's already gone. I did stipulate that if her ever puts it in the water, I get a ride too. It was such a labor of love, I hated to see it go, but he REALLY wanted it bad. Can't wait to start on the next one.

Bud
"Canoes don't tip. People just fall out of them!" Omer Stringer
sedges

Catspaw Dinghy

Post by sedges »

This is my latest project. Modified the plans for strip construction. Mahogany transom, yellow pine keelson and stem, spars will be spruce.

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That looks very nice! What are the dimensions and estimated completed weight? What thickness of strips did you use? What glass layup do you have planned?
sedges

Catspaw specs

Post by sedges »

The dinghy is 12'8" X 48". Strip thickness is 1/4". I plan on using 4oz glass doubled below waterline. I have no idea about weight, but with center board and trunk, seats and floorboards, mast and spar and sail it will not be light enough to cartop. I am hoping 180 pounds so two people could muscle it off the trailer and into the water where there is not a boatramp.

Its going to be a slow project. I don't have much free time these days.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

17' Guillemot Kayak

Check on progress at: http://pawistik.blogspot.com

Cheers,
Bryan
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Lookin' good Bryan, keep us posted. :tu
Glen Smith

12 foot canoe

Post by Glen Smith »

Does this madness ever end? Is there no cure for this disease? That's right, I am preparing to build boat # 10. It is a 12 foot canoe that I absolutely must have for solo paddling and for the occasional fishing trip with one of my daughters (we're both lightweights) so I put KayakFoundry to work. This software is for kayaks but with a bit of cheating I managed to come up with a decent canoe design. There is still about 10 feet of snow in front of the house so maybe the canoe will be ready for launching by the time the snow is all gone.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Glen,

Why does this not surprise me??? Your creativity and boat building knowledge have no end?!

I though of going down a similar path (using KF) to come up with my own F16 type design back when we had the Freedom dialogue. Who knows, I may still get to go there...

Good luck, happy building, and keep us informed of your progress!

Snowman
Snowman back East
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Snowman, Ross has released an update to KayakFoundry: http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/kayak/index.html click on "Software" then you can download the newest version. One of its features is that it will allow you to have more flare in the hull sides and you can exxagerate it so that you get tumblehome which is just what I was waiting for. :eyebrows

Now I have a bigger challenge: turning a bunch of kindling wood into a canoe. :frightened
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Glen,

It is only kindling if it is destined for the fire! I know that you will not have any problems!

BTW, I played a bit with Ross' new release of KF (when it was in Beta). He also does fantastic work! I only wish I had more time to dedicate to the fun projects - I might give it a try for a canoe application (someday).

Snowman
Snowman back East
Glen Smith

12 foot canoe update

Post by Glen Smith »

The forms are all cut and sanded. I didn't make them with the usual mushroom stem to save wood, instead I will use risers as I do when building a kayak. The inner stems have been cut, steamed and bent. I will glue the laminations together before bending the outer stem laminations over them because I don't like bending cedar and ash at the same time.

I planed some cherry that I will probably use for the gunwales and I cut a piece of ash that will become the keel.