Non-Bear Mountain Designs

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Glen,

Looking good. I guess we know what you are doing while you wait for the snow to melt.

WRT the mushroon stations - I have yet to do a canoe, but I had always wondered why I could not use my risers from my kayak set-up. I guess you have just confirmed that there should be no reason not to.

How about some boat details?

Snowman
Snowman back East
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Yes, you can use the risers. Just determine the appropriate height at which they should be fastened to the forms and install them all at the same height if your risers are all the same height.

The canoe is symmetrical, 12 feet long, 30 & 7/8" beam at WL, 32 & 1/4" max beam, 30 & 3/4" gunwale beam, tumblehomed, 12" center depth, 18" high stems. It will be built with left-over white cedar at 3/16" thickness, 4oz glass inside and out. It will be a lightweight. Oh yes, it will have a keel, that'll add a few pounds!
Bryan Hansel

Nikumi Kayak

Post by Bryan Hansel »

This is my latest kayak. I thought I'd post it here in addition to the kayak forum, because it is a neat project. The kayak design is called the Nikumi and it was designed by Tom Yost. The attached picture is the kayak after one week plus one day. I'd have it on the water tomorrow but I'm waiting for HH-66 vinyl glue for the clear vinyl skin that I'm going to use to skin the kayak. My building log is here: http://www.nessmuking.com/nikumi.htm

This is one fast way to build a kayak, so if you've always wanted a kayak, but didn't want to spend the time building one, this is a good way to go. I also think that you could adapt any design to this style of building.

Tom's website is: http://yostwerks.com/ You can find the offsets for this and many other kayaks at his site. His site is also a full blown building manual for folding kayaks. Lots and lots of good stuff there.

Edit: If you were wondering how I achieved the blur: The picture was shot with a Lens Baby 2.0.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Bryan, it's looking more and more like a kayak! This is the aluminium extrusion I use for the footbraces ( "A" in the pic ). I don't use the T-bolts or the T-slot nuts because they aren't stainless ( not specified but at that price, can't be stainless ). I use stainless carriage bolts (3/8" dia) and grind the head so it fits in the track slot. The shoulder on the bolt stops it from turning when I tighten or loosen the adjustment knob (homemade).
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... 3455,52799
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Glen, thanks for the link. I was wonder where to find those. Now the dilemma: If I order these, the kayak goes over $100. :)
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Well, Brian you must be already pretty close to the magic number because you only need one piece of track 2 or 3 feet long and cut it in two. With tax and shipping that would add a maximum of $15 to the project.
Glen Smith

12 foot canoe update

Post by Glen Smith »

Today I set up the forms and checked them for fairness. Next step will be to shape the inner stems then on to stripping.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Glen, that would put my at $110.65. $10.65 over budget. :thinking

On your new canoe, do you sit on the floor or will you hang a seat? I saw the link you posted on the kayak forum about the freighter canoe and saw a gorgeous 13' solo there.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Bryan, I guess you'll have to increase the budget on the kayak and save somewhere else. :thinking

Yes, I will be hanging seats from the inwales, just down a few inches as in a "standard" sized canoe.
Glen Smith

12 foot canoe progress

Post by Glen Smith »

After one week, this is where I am at with stripping the canoe. I copied John Caldeira's accent strip :embarassed and it took me a whole week just to build it without it falling apart on me. I should be ready for glassing by next weekend.

Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Glen,

You are making good progress. I bet you are excited to get her in the water this summer. It will be a nice looking boat!

Snowman
Snowman back East
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Here are some pics of the G'White on the Flathead River this last Wednesday. My brother is in the bow, on his first canoe trip. We did 5 hours, about 22 miles and the canoe handled very well. We had some wind, and with the high stems, I have to keep it tacked just right or it swings pretty fast. Very stable, though, and a good paddle.
Greg

" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
artistwood

wee lassie project

Post by artistwood »

this is the link to my current wee lassie project. it is supposed to be a minimalist canoe but i went the other way. absolutly no metal is being used in the boat. all the hardware is hand carved wood. mostly cherry. the fore and aft hatches are actualy kayak hatches and were built per one ocean kayak design. stripping was per bear mountain, combings per guillemopt kayaks. kind of a thank you to everone who has made building boats a huge part of their lives. thanks for that.
i still have to install the seat and backrest, the adjustable foor rest and according to my youngest daughter (19) a holder for botteled water. still needs the final coat of epoxy so some parts are shiny, some arent. the leafy looking thing on the bow and stearn are the rope cleats. they are pinned with doweles through the deck and are laminated with fiberglass.
i love building boats! :applause

Wee Lassie Pics
the voyages are the memories waiting to happen, the destination is the place we collect them...barry "bear" taylor
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Artistwood, can't see your pics, the link doesn't work.

Alright, I fixed the link.
Beavers

Merlin

Post by Beavers »

Here are a couple of photo's of my Merlin.
I just completed glassing the outside...still have a lot of work left to do. :shocked

[IMG:640:459]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/ ... 100005.jpg[/img]

[IMG:639:434]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/ ... 100006.jpg[/img]