wich boat to build

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
ton

wich boat to build

Post by ton »

hello,
I`m new here.
I`m ton, a single dad with 2young kids, who stayed with me after my divorce.
after a few years trying to put my (our) lives back together again, the moment is finally there.......... I`m gonna build a canoe
only wich one?
I`m gonna use it for short daytrips with the 3 of us and solo trips.
I thought of building a bob`s special or ranger
I would appriciate some thoughts of you, experienced paddlers, on this subject
regards
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Ton, welcome aboard. I think you have narrowed it down to two good choices. The Ranger might be your preferred choice because of the little extra stability and it has more depth than the Bob's Special for a drier ride.

Are the children going to help you build it and make it a real family project?
ton

Post by ton »

hi glen,
thanks for your reply
after reviewing the specs on these boats it seemed rather logical that it should be one of those two, but it never hurts to ask experienced people.
my kids are gonna watch my every move during the building proces and do their bits to help me, wherever they can , so it is gonna be a familyproject :wink
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hmmm... a 15' hull will probably be crowded with three paddlers packed in... the 16' Prospector is more likely to be the better compromise, and still be a decent solo. The 17' Freedom, even better with more room between three paddlers, and is also good paddled solo. You'll have to install a kneeling thwart or third seat when going solo with the Freedom, and this will also make things more comfortable when going with three. The 16' Prospector can simply be paddled backwards solo, and a third paddler can sit on the floor.
ton

Post by ton »

well, the youngest one, my son, is 6 years old, so he won`t be doing much paddling
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Ton, I still say go with the Ranger and in a few years you can build another boat to either accomodate the kids or they can paddle circles around you in their own canoe built by Dad.
ton

Post by ton »

my thoughts exacly, by the time my son is up to paddling, I will probably have built the next boat
for now I believe the ranger is the best option, mostly because we will do short daytrips and not wildernestrips(can`t find wildernes here anyway)