Question for A Saltwater Canoe

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
itfitz

Post by itfitz »

Thanks.

Anyone who has had experience on a salt canoe, please advise on design anf any other aspects that may be of assistance.
Just a cheese burger in Paradise
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, Itfitz,
If you want to stand up in the canoe, even in 1-2 ft seas, you might consider one of a number of ways to add an outrigger. The motor can be mounted on the rear iako, a sail could be added as a source of power in lieu of the motor. The outrigger would add a lot of stability. See Gary Dierking's Ulua plans
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/ulua.html
A hui ho,
Kent
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Being on the ocean in Juneau Alaska...my Bob's Special is a bit tippy for my comfort with a 3 hp motor hanging off the side. It's ok for sheltered coves but the ocean up here isn't too forgiving and the chop comes up pretty quick. Lots of times, its ok, but a good kayak is a much better choice for the open water.

I think if I was really going to out on the big water in a canoe with a motor, a Grand Laker would be my preference. Otherwise, if you want a Bear Mountain design, you might look at the Rice Lake which can take a motor...but you will be rowing rather than paddling once you get to whereever you are going.

I have had friends go out in canoes and catch 100# plus halibut here in the sheltered waters of the inside passage...but in their own words... that is a pretty dicey deal. I recognize the Keys are different, but I would be remiss I didn't tell you to put your safety first in your choice of a stripper...Juneaudave
itfitz

Post by itfitz »

The coevs and inlets of the keys are a lot different than anywhere else I have ever lived. The ater is rarely rough, even with a good wind blowing. Thats because the islands are surrounded by a huge reef that slows the water down to almost nothing, which is why when you go across the bridges of the lower keys, they often look like a big sheet of glass. Its amazing being 130 miles out in the middle of the ocean and seeing that. very sureal. I would compare the waters of the lower keys to that of Lake Erie.
itfitz

Post by itfitz »

I think I am going to add an outrigger to this project. It seems like it will add the vital stability I am after. All I need now is to find plans for an outrigger.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Ok...here's a salt water building tip...even if you use silicon bronze hardware, go ahead and bed the hardware in a bedding compound like sikaflex even if you epoxy the holes. In the moist ocean air, even if the wood/metal interface doesn't look like it is wet, the salt water corrosion causes holes to stain, enlarge, and eventually rot out. A good bedding compoud will really help extend the life of your canoe!!
KARKAUAI

outriggers

Post by KARKAUAI »

There have been a few discussions in previous threads. Try a search there. If you can't find anything, try Google. If that doesn't work, email me and I'll see if I can find the suggestions I've seen before...might be on another BB somewhere. Gary's website has a page for building amas from blue styrofoam and glass which would work for any size ama. Iako can be anything from a branch to a broomstick or aluminum pole to a nice set of curved laminated wood. I can help you with waterline calcs if you need it.
A hui ho,
Kent