Question for A Saltwater Canoe

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
itfitz

Question for A Saltwater Canoe

Post by itfitz »

I am starting the process of building a canoe. I live in Key West, so of course it will be in the Salt Water. Any thoughts or concerns for the salt water? I also want to build it with a flat stern for a small trolling motor. Any thoughts on Stability or weight (bow to stern) issues?

Thanks,
Shawn
Just a cheese burger in Paradise
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

For saltwater use, any hardware should be silicon-bronze. As for a square-stern canoe, it should be designed to handle the weight of the motor plus the motorman in the stern seat. Modifying a double-ended canoe as a square-stern without adding more volume in the stern would produce a canoe that will squat a lot during solo outings.
itfitz

Post by itfitz »

By adding more wolume, would that mean making it wider at the stern to offset the added weight, or longer, or maybe I should just put the battery in the bow and run the wires back from there? ITs still a work in progress on paper. I initially thought of side mounting the trolling motor but then figured that it would lean real bad to that side.

Thanks,
shawn
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If you mean an electric trolling motor, I would side mount it. I have done that in the past and it worked very well. A gas motor is usually heavier and requires more stern volume. I have seen at least one strip boat that was modified to a square-stern without other design mods and it did squat quite a bit when soloed. What some builders have done is to take a longer boat design like maybe 18 feet but stop it at the 15 or 16 foot mark and put in a square stern. This provides more volume at the new stern position.
itfitz

Post by itfitz »

was leaning an issue with side mounting the motor?

The goal is to be able to get to the flats in a relatively short time and then paddle around from there.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Side lean was not a problem. I just sat on the seat a little bit off-center to compensate for the motor weight and it went fine. When soloing, I would sit in the bow seat facing backwards and this providied even more volume for the motor position and no compensation was necessary.
itfitz

Post by itfitz »

I think what I will do then is build the canoe as per plan and take it from there. If I need to make changes, I will do it on the next one I build. I have some other ideas that I would like to add to it as well, such as a live bait well, a spot specifically designed for a cooler as well as rod holders and maybe even a stereo system. What I want to build if the ultimate fishing canoe.

Thanks for your help,
Shawn
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Alright Shawn, what boat model do you have in mind? If you have any building related questions, you should post them on the "Builders' Forum" to get more responses. Each "forum" has its purpose and reason for being.
itfitz

Post by itfitz »

Building a peterborough, and I'll cahnge forums for more of the info I am looking for.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If you mean the "Peterborough Canadian" 16' , I would rethink that choice for your use.
itfitz

Post by itfitz »

And why would that be? It seemed to be the best all around multi use canoe that I have the plans for in the book.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

It has been dubbed "the cottager's canoe" because it is a good lake canoe, not for the ocean. It is also one of the least stable of the BM canoes with a factor of only 86. The depth is small for a motorized canoe and possibly wind and wave conditions. Check this link for a bit more info: http://www.bearmountainboats.com/CanoeTechnical.htm
itfitz

Post by itfitz »

I wont really be taking it in the "ocean", just in the flats about the little islands and inlets that rarely see 1-2' seas, but I see your point about stability. I may want to rethink my choice. Good thing I havent cut my molds yet, only started drawing them up. From what I read, the prospector or the freedom 17/9 might be a good choice. Is the stability because of the arch (or lack the of) of the hull?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Stability is all about length, width, side flare, volume distribution, and underwater shape. The Prospector 16' is a very good choice IMHO. The Freedom is an asymmetrical design which isn't meant to be soloed from the bow seat but it is a very well designed canoe so it depends on your intended usage of solo versus tandem. Also keep in mind the fact that the Prospector has more rocker and will be more nimble if your purpose is coastal and rivers
itfitz

Post by itfitz »

What I am looking for is something that will be stable enough to stand in long enough to spot the fish, will handle the trolling motor well and can be soloed with out much trouble, since I have a feeling, that will happen more often than she says. The water conditions are usually pretty flat, lake like conditions with only waves going to and from the flats.