Ranger versus Bob's Special

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Gini

Ranger versus Bob's Special

Post by Gini »

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I plan to build a cedar strip canoe. This will be a first - both as a builder and a canoeist. I've kayaked for several years and probably qualify as an intermediate. I've also built four stitch and glue kayaks (three singles, one double). Now I want to try canoeing.

Among other reasons, we now have only one dog in the family and would like to be able to take him along on daily outings. The canoe will be primarily used by two adults, the dog, and some light day-tripping gear. Water will range from calm lakes to lakes that can kick up an afternoon chop from mountain winds, to medium-flow rivers with some rapids that probably are class I at most. I'd like the canoe to be good for soloing, since I hope to learn good soloing skills. As light as possible in weight is good (I'm considering using 3/16" strips).

I'm very torn between the Bob's Special and the Ranger. Both look good for my purposes, with the Ranger perhaps being the better solo canoe, and better river canoe (more rocker, yes?). I was hoping to collect opinions from those who have paddled either one (or both).

I've also given thought to building the Bob's Special in a 16', which is as long as I'd like to go. I've read references to the fact that the stations can be moved out for a 16' length without other modification, but I couldn't find anything about the handling differences that the added foot would make.

Any advice, thoughts, and recommendations?
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Gini,

The 15' Bob's here in Algonquin canoe country is used often as a lightweight solo/tandem with good carrying capacity. Some owners will use no other on their trips and swear by the Bob's, because the tripping is mostly lakes and slow rivers, with portaging that makes a light, compact design necessary.

I've paddled a 15' Bob's but not the Ranger - I agree, though, that the Ranger will probably be the better design for you since the higher ends and sides will make for a dryer ride in waves on rivers and lakes. The rocker will allow for more control and response in rivers, although it might reduce speed slightly.

Someone here wrote that the Bob's plans come with a 16' version, you might want to check with Bear Mountain on this, and you can also do this by increasing the station spacing and stretching the end stations by the same percentage. The longer Bob's should be a faster-paddling hull, but might be more affected by winds and be livelier in waves because of increased flotation when being paddled solo, as well as being heavier to portage.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The plans for the Bob's Special explain how to stretch it out to 16'.

The Ranger will give you more manoeuverability on the rivers and especially the rapids so this might be a better choice for your intended usage.
Gini

Thanks for the reply

Post by Gini »

Glen and Rick,

Thanks for your thoughts, they're very helpful. I'll keep educating myself for awhile and pondering the options a bit.

-Gini
bmccamus

Post by bmccamus »

Hi Gini.. I'm following this with interest as I am facing the same dilemma and have similar needs. My choice will be a 15' Prospector Ranger vs. 15' Bobs Special.

Although I can't confirm it from the designs at present, I'm told the Ranger has 4" of rocker and it sounds like the Bobs Special has less.

I'm told that it is possible to reduce the Ranger's rocker from 4" to 2", but I'm not certain and wonder if you've considered that idea or heard anything about that.

I'm in Ontario and plan to do a mixture of lake paddling and trips through Georgian Bay (bigger water) and Algonquin Park/Kilarney... likely avoiding anything more than gentle rapids. Both solo and tandem, short trips.

I'd welcome your thoughts or those of anyone else on this thread.

Brad
Rick

Post by Rick »

Brad,

I wouldn't try changing the amount of rocker in any design because other parts of the hull might be thrown out of line and you could get some poor results. On big water like Georgian Bay rocker can be a good thing, since it lowers the center of gravity and makes for a more stable boat in waves. The increased response can also make it easier to control under those conditions.

The downside of rocker is that it can slow things down, and the Bob's might be the more efficient hull for your purposes while at the same time being a little lighter and less affected by wind.

Four inches is a lot of rocker in a 15' canoe - Wenonah's 15' Prospector has that much and when eyeballing it against the Ranger, the Ranger has less. Wenonah's website should have a photo after several clicks:

www.wenonah.com
ealger

Post by ealger »

Well, I've read the entries here and pose this question: between the Ranger 15 and Bob's Special 15, on a flat lake, with a solo 220# paddler sitting on the forward seat - reverse paddling, plus 25# of gear, which canoe will have the best feeling of stability roll wise?
I've studied the FAQ stability chart where the Ranger 15 and Bob's Special 15 are rated using the computer. However, I'd like to get some opinions about the feel of stability. I recently built a 16' which was advertised as "Stable" but dumped me, twice on the initial launch! (Not listed on the FAQ chart, BTW).
Thanks, Ed...
Ed Alger