Bulding two Kayaks

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
wlloydw

Bulding two Kayaks

Post by wlloydw »

Want to build two kayaks.
I have extensive wordworking experience and luxury yacht cabinet construction. I have never built a kayak.

My partner and I are new sea kayakers and now live on the shore in Nova Scotia. We want to tour the coast lines and off shore islands here.

She is 110 lbs. and 5'4" / I am 230 lbs. and 5'11"

I have read Ted Moores and Nick Schade's books on strip building and feel confident I have the skills needed. I will have access to a shop and tools this coming winter for 8 months and wanted to build two kayaks at the same time.

I assume they will need to be different sizes because of our size differences. I have looked into several models and wanted some advise and recommendations from anyone experienced. I am looking at the folowing in no particular order :

Guillemot L - Nick Schade
Guillemot Expedition Solo - Nick Schade
Panache - Rob Macks
Endeavour 17 - Bear Mountain
Cape Ann expedition - One Ocean
Bjossa - Orca
Sea Wolf - New found
King - Redfish

We will be touring off shore islands and coastlines. Concerned with seaworthiness first and foremost. I want to build stapleless cedar strip kayaks. We want to be able to easily roll the kayak for added safety and to avoid having to perform open water re-entries.

Quesitons:
1. What two would be recommeded for our needs
2. Is there a signficant seaworthy difference between kayaks with external stems and shear clams and those without.
3. If there is no diference why do one verses the other or what is the advantage of one over the other.

Thank you for your help.

Lloyd
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Lloyd, for someone your size there are several good kayak designs available. However, your wife falls into the lightweight category and there are not very many decent designs out there for her weight when ocean travel is intended. Maybe you could get her to pack all the gear in her kayak to compensate. :shocked

Several websites do not state the designed waterline displacement of their designs making the choice even more difficult. I suggest you contact various designers with your requirements to see which of their boats they would recommend.

Building with inner stems and sheer clamps adds a bit of weight to the boat but they make for easier assembly and added strength. Kayaks that are designed to be built without sheer clamps normally have a rounder shape and are probably a bit easier to roll. Inner and or outer stems can be added to any design.
sedges

also consider

Post by sedges »

The 14' Great Auk by Guillemott for a smaller kayak and the Caspian Sea(small) and North Sea(large) by John Winters at site below

http://www.greenval.com/Green_Valley_Customs.html
Jeff in Pembroke

Post by Jeff in Pembroke »

You might also consider the Storm LT or Storm SLT from oneoceankayaks.
http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/kayakpro/ ... tm#SLTanch.
They seem specifically designed as performance kayaks for lighter paddlers.
wlloydw

thank you all

Post by wlloydw »

I contacted several designers directly and have received some good information. Thank you for your help.