Ranger or Bobs Special

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Bill Martin

Ranger or Bobs Special

Post by Bill Martin »

I am stuck for space and would like to build either the Ranger or the Bobs Special.
I have only 13 to 14 feet of garage space to play with. So my question is which one do I go for?
What would other canoe builders recommend, I don’t like the Rob Roy preferring a beamer canoe. Is it possible to shorten the station or do you think the canoe would look odd. I plan to loft the plans from the book Canoecraft
Bill
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Bill, so you want to build something that will fit in your garage but you want it to have a decent beam, right? You could shorten either the Ranger or the Bob's Special by placing the forms closer together but this will modify the lines of the canoe and alter the performance. If a 12 foot canoe would suit your needs, may I recommend the Chemaunis from Carrying Place Canoe & Boat Works: http://www.carryingplacecanoeworks.on.c ... strip.html
Bill Martin

Choosing a design

Post by Bill Martin »

I had a look at the Chemaunis canoe It looks like the canoe for me but I will have to find out more about it. Has any one else from Bear mountain built this one and how does it compary/handle like the prospector Ranger. Many thanks for telling me about this canoe.
Bill