ranger?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
kel

ranger?

Post by kel »

Hello, first time builder here. I am looking for a canoe that will be mostly used for short trips, from 1-5 days, some of which will be solo. However, I also am looking for a canoe that can be taken on longer, more extensive trips (say, 2-3 weeks). It would be paddled mostly on flat water, and rivers (with mild rapids, 1-2 tops). After looking, it seems like the Prospecter Ranger would be appropriate but if there is canoe that would be more so, I would really appreciate the input! Thanks!
Rick

Post by Rick »

A 2-3 week trip with two would be better done in a larger canoe - like the 16' Prospector or the Freedom 17. Both canoes can also be paddled solo, with the Freedom probably the more efficient choice.
sedges

prospector 16

Post by sedges »

We have done some pretty long trips in the prospector 16. We are not a lightweight couple and on one trip the canoe carried about 600 pounds of paddler and outfit. It did it with much grace and seaworthiness. I think, however, that this would be about the limit. Look at the displacement numbers. Ranger-375, prospector16-420. I believe this is total displacement to the 4" waterline. You need to add in the estimated weight of the canoe to your people/outfit for the total weight you use to make the decision.

The 16 prospector is a fine solo if it is not to breezy.