Canoe Plan for racing?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Devin

Canoe Plan for racing?

Post by Devin »

I am wanting to build a woodstrip canoe specifically for racing. Would be for straight races for 2 people on flat water. I was looking at the Hiawatha but maybe a longer design like the Redbird would be better? Also would appreciate any advice on woodstrip thickness and suitable keel for a racing canoe.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Devin
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Devin, I believe the Freedom 17/9 is the fastest of the Bear Mountain designs. If you prefer a symmetrical canoe, the Redbird would probably be the fastest.

I haven't built or paddled either one so I am not talking from hands-on experience, just from studying the lines and the dimensions of both boats.
Doug

Post by Doug »

What about the C1 Racing Canoe?

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/18-6C1RacingCanoe.htm

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Doug

Post by Doug »

Sorry that (C1) is for one.
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM