Small Kayak / Playboat Design?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
moe f

Small Kayak / Playboat Design?

Post by moe f »

Can anyone recommend a small kayak design (11 to 14 f) to be used as a day tripper or for just toying around. I only recently tried kayaking and would like to build a cerdarstrip one. One of my prorities would be feeling stable in it.

I recently paddled a Wilderness Pungo 12 and quite enjoyed the experience of paddling it.

thanks for your asistance.

moe f
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Moe, the size of a kayak is usually determined by your weight plus the weight of any gear on board. Your specific needs are determined by the weight, intended usage (lake, ocean, sheltered bays) and how stable you need the kayak to be. If you could provide us with more specific information, we might be able to point you in the right direction.
moe f

Post by moe f »

Thanks Glen, intended use of the kayak is as a playboat for car camping in places like Algonquin Park, or other smaller bodies of water. I would use it for exploring bays, creeks and rivers with no or little gear. My weight is 185 lbs.

I'm still a canoeist at heart, you don't break a 40 year habit just like that, but now that I'm retired and more time on my hands to build and paddle I would like to hang a kyak beside the Bob Special I built.

I paddled a Wilderness Pungo 12 last week while in Algoquin and the experience left me with the desire to get one, or if I can find plans or offsets for something similar using cedar I would build one.

Would appreciate any suggestions or ideas anyone could give me.

Thanks
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

My recommendation would be a Guillemot Kayaks Great Auk 14: http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/Buildin ... _Part.html
or the Little Auk at either 10 or 11 feet: http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/Buildin ... APart.html

The 14 would probably better suit your weight range and you could even shorten it to 13 feet.