Hiawatha

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Derek

Hiawatha

Post by Derek »

Does anyone have any insight on the Hiawatha? I am deciding on a 15' design that will be used on black water and small lakes, solo and tandem, and trips up to 5 days. I have canoed under the aforementioned conditions for years but would nevertheless consider myself to have fairly low technical skill. My partners are usually teenagers or inexperienced adults. While the Ranger is a safe choice, I really like the canadian look of the Hiawatha. That being said, I don't want to end up with a canoe that isn't a match for my abilities and intended use. I'm also considering the Grey Owl from the Carrying Place. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Rick

Post by Rick »

It probably wouldn't be my favorite choice, since it has no tumblehome amidships and doesn't look like it would paddle well solo, kneeling and heeled over. This might be why the description states that it's best paddled level than heeled over, maybe better suited to sitting paddlers. The high ends would also catch the wind more, although they do have their value for appearances. I haven't paddled one so just speculation, FWIW.

The Hiawatha is one of the less stable designs, I built a Huron and while I find it comfortable enough to relax in,.it feels tippy to some. So the Hiawatha might be less comfortable for some paddlers since it has a lower stability number.

IIRC, the Grey Owl is a wide, beamy hull with a great deal of stability designed in, different from the Hiawatha, and might be a little slow. OTOH, if speed isn't important, it could carry a good load when tripping and be stable enough for fishing with people not used to canoes.

Let us know what you decide on, good luck!
Jeff in Pembroke

Post by Jeff in Pembroke »

The boatbuilding forum on the myccr website (http://www.myccr.com) has a discussion about a 15' Freedom hull compare to a Mattawa (I believe). I don't recall the details and I'm not sure I've seen the plans for a 15' Freedom discussed anywhere. However, they are two other hull options you might want to consider before making a decision.

Cheers,
Jeff