First Time Builder

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
bert304

First Time Builder

Post by bert304 »

Hello I found this forum last night, I could not wait to post and get some opinions.
I can not figure out which pattern I should choose and I am trying to figure out how much it is going to cost for the strips. I have a 4 year old daughter and she will probally go with me some of the time. I will most likely be canoeing by myself, so I want something I can move aroud by myself. I have the book canoe craft the older verison and read it several times front to back. I went to several web sites and looked at all kinds of patterns and now I am really unsure of what patteren to choose. If it helps I am 6'0" and weight about 250, I would be using it in Tobyhanna lake and other local lakes not for any white water. Please give you opinions on patterns, designs and anything else that might be helpfull?
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I built the Bob's Special and like it really well..It may work for you. Did you read the FAQ an choosing a design? http://www.bearmountainboats.com/faq_04.htm Good luck...you'll find a lot of support on this site!
bert304

Post by bert304 »

I like the looks of the 15 ' Bob special It seems like a well balanced canoe, I will do some more research on this model and try to figure out what it will cost me for the slates. As you can tell money is the big problem
:smile
bert304

Another snafu

Post by bert304 »

I was looking at the revised edition of canoe craft and I found a web page of someone who built the Huron Cruiser and was comparing it to the Bob Special. What the person did was to shorten it by a couple inches and brought it to the same length as the Bob so Now I have to to decide. I like the looks of the rockers on the Huron little higher then the Bob
Rick

Post by Rick »

Bert,

I built a Huron last year, in part because of Tommy's website and other comments here and there. It's a fairly fast hull and I'm racking up some good mileage in it, but it is tippier than a Bob's. A Huron will allow you to cover distance on large lakes more easily, but the Bob's might be the better all-round canoe if more stability means more comfort. I find the Huron stable enough to fish from, but any less could be a problem. I also prefer the Huron over a Bob's when going solo, maybe because the round bottom seems to be better adapted to kneeling.

Just some thoughts, enjoy the planning!
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I always figure that between $500 and $1000 is a good estimate for total cost of materials. A friend of mine spent about $60 for wood on his last canoe. About $250 for glass and epoxy. The gunwales ran $20. Two thwarts for $10 each, wholesale, and the seat at $15, wholesale. And the varnish was around $45. Once you count building the strongback and forms and staples and screws and hardware and deck, it came in on the cheap at about $500.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Hi Bert, have you seen the study plans catalog?
http://www.bearmountainboats.com/online ... ucts_id=93
Gives an overview of all BMB designs and their characteristics. Good luck with your decision.
Bud
"Canoes don't tip. People just fall out of them!" Omer Stringer
Woodchuck

Little boats for little people...

Post by Woodchuck »

I even top your height and weight so I went with one that will hold me up without the bow being vertical... The Nomad 17' was my choice and when paddling solo, it is more important to have some fore and aft balance. Much easier with a bigger canoe... Just my thoughts...
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI