First timer, looking for stress relief/Fly Fishing design

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
river_drifter

First timer, looking for stress relief/Fly Fishing design

Post by river_drifter »

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, but have been searching the archives for a few months now.
I am looking for a design that I can take out during my lunch break at work and also use as a fly fishing boat, for some much needed stress relief...
I've been scouring the Internet heavily and have come up with an idea for a nice solo/fly fishing boat...I think, that's where you guys come in. I really like the Fly Fisherman's Special from Heritage Canoes, but unfortunately I can't swing the 10 1/2 beans that they want for one, so my idea is to take a 15' Bob's Special and make it similar in nature to this (http://www.heritagecanoes.com/ffs.html) canoe. Is it even possible? It has a sliding stern/center seat in it, is it possible to put one of them into the BS? Or should I look at other plans instead?

Thanks!

Eric
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Building the sliding seat arrangement to fit in a Bob's Special wouldn't be a hard thing to do. What other modifications do you have in mind?
river_drifter

Post by river_drifter »

Basically just building the sliding seat, and adding a seat back, and maybe a rod holder, a paddle hanger, similar to the Heritage configuration, but using the Bob's as the foundation.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I don't see any problems with that. I have never made such an arrangement, but from looking at the photos on the Heritage Canoes website, it looks pretty straightforward to me. It will require good quality lumber with close, straight grain and no run-out to make it resistant. Once the canoe hull is built, you can always make a mock-up with cheap spruce to find the right dimensions and location if you feel that is necessary.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I think you are right on target! The Bob's Special should be a good hull for what your doing...have fun!
river_drifter

Post by river_drifter »

I have a few 3 foot long pieces of straight grain walnut that I could use for the seat "rails", maybe spaced with ash or some contrasting wood. During the winter semester at a local college here, they are offering a "Strip Canoe Building" class, so I may partake in that, to get my feet wet, and then dive into building the Bob's into my "fly fishing yacht". I currently have a copy of "CanoeCraft" and in there, the lines and offsets are listed for the Bob's Special, so I may work toward those, or I may save some time and the lofting effort and just buy the fullsized plans from Bear Mountain.

Thank you guys for all the help, I'll keep the forum posted as to my progress.