Help me chose a Design

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
druddock10@comcast.net

Help me chose a Design

Post by druddock10@comcast.net »

I am about to order plans for a canoe from Bear Mountain and am debating between the Hiawatha and Prospector. I plan to use it primarily on lakes and slow moving rivers with my wife. I have some paddling experience but she has none. Also, I have limited woodworking experience and not a very well stocked wookshop. Any suggestions?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Prospector is much more stable than the Hiawatha and also more maneuverable so I think it would be a better choice. I have a Hiawatha and I find it very tender in the seating position, however when paddling solo in the kneeling position I can get the outwale down to the water, hold it there and paddle along without difficulty. I chose the Hiawatha because of the "traditional" look. If I had known then what I know now, I would have built the Prospector either in the 16 foot length or as a 15 foot Ranger.