choices

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
kipawakurt

choices

Post by kipawakurt »

I have finally decided to build a canoe. I am leaning toward the nomad or prospector. right now i have a 17 foot grumman, i know they are tanks but i do a trip to Kipawa (hence kipawakurt) with a boy scout troop every 2 years and the grummans hold up to the abuse they give them very well. I like the 17 foot length for carrying capacity. i do mostly lake canoeing and no white water. this will be my first build and any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks kurt larson aka kipawakurt
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Either boat will work for you, but I'm personally drawn by the Nomad. It's a little bigger and that seems to draw my eye.
Rick

Post by Rick »

If solo paddling is a possibility, the 16' Prospector or the 17' Freedom, both versatile, with the Prospector the more versatile choice, since it can be paddled backwards with no kneeling thwart necessary and carry a heavier load. The Freedom should be faster because of the narrowness and the asymmetrical design, and the easier paddling solo, once the kneeling thwart is in.

If it's all going to be tandem on long trips, then the larger versions of the above two should be fine.