Question from Finland on the RedBird

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Classic Finn

Question from Finland on the RedBird

Post by Classic Finn »

Just want to ask... before ordering plans ... We both just love the Redbird... I believe it is the same one that Dean in California is building...

would this canoe be good and stable for us (well ok..). Beginners???

Gee that was tough to admit.... :crying ( Beginners) ugh..

We would use it mostly for calm lake type paddling, fishing and photography...maybe day
trips...

Classic Finn
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Redbird, Now you're talkin'!! We loved the Redbird design as well and built one over a 13 month period (finished in Sept). It can be viewed as a bit tippy initially but one quickly becomes accustomed to it. I love paddling our Redbird. Below is a link to a thread that includes several links to many of the photo's we took during the construction of our Redbird. It might also answer several questions for you (it will take some time however). You can't go wrong with the Redbird.

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... php?t=1515

Good luck!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

I took my Redbird canoe camping two weekends ago (Cape Canaveral Seashore, Florida) . I loaded the wife and three little kids in it plus gear and it was fine. Even with five people (two who never stop moving) in the canoe I never had the feeling that we were going to tip.

But the Redbird is not as stable as say an alluminum Grumman canoe. Of course the Redbird glides through the water better than the Grumman so there is a trdae-off. The Redbird canoe actual feels most stable when its loaded with about 300-350 lbs (~150kg).

If you and your partner have zero canoe experience, I would recommend a more stable design. If you have done a modest amount of canoeing then the Redbird would be a good choice.

A side note: we were leaving a historic site (no gear) and people were on shore watching the canoe and family of five enter the water. We set that canoe in the water, all five jumped in like it was the family car and we were off. I am sure that the people on shore were sratching their heads over a family of five launching that quick.
Classic Finn

Post by Classic Finn »

:thinking Thanks for your replies..
The wife was asking then if the Nomad would be a better choice? We dont want to go to
anything we cant handle, and only fool ourselves and then to regret..

Classic Finn

PS Maybe we could always build the Redbird after we learn on an easier canoe..
also thinking of safety .. :confused
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Classic Finn,

Welcome aboard.

My wife had never been in a canoe before the completion of my Redbird. I wasn't exactly a beginner but I didn't have near the paddling experience of most of these forum members. I don't have anything to compare my redbird to but I am very happy with it's stability and my wife has never worried about dumping. She is more worried about me dumping the boat on purpose than she is about the chances of an unexpected situation we can't get out of and stay dry. My guess is that you and your wife will gain enough experience quickly that you won't even notice the tippiness of this boat.
Classic Finn

Post by Classic Finn »

mt pocket
Thank you for your output..

We have been in a heavier plastic canoe by I think it was by coleman in high winds
unexpectedly and we didnt get scared or worried but ohhh boy was it tough to paddle against the wind.. plus we had our tent, euquipment and our hunting dog.. she loved it
sitting in the middle...

So I think it will be the Redbird for sure.. It really is a beutiful looking canoe that we cant
seem to take our minds off of...Boy this choosing was not the easiest thing for us.. :thinking

Thanks again... so the RedBird Plans we will go for.. then once its done a few paddling lessons on a nice calm lake.....

Best wishes to you
Classic Finn :big grin
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

CF, I think you're on the right track. You should build the boat you want to have. If it needs some growing into, that will be a short process. It takes much less time to grow into a boat than build another one (but once you build one, you will want to build another. and another, and another...)

Good luck!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Classic Finn

Post by Classic Finn »

Ahhh shucks! Thanks
We really do like the style and shape of the RedBird...
Also I am a seaman and have sea rescue experience .. and I have been out in the Baltic
on a raft with higher waves so ... I managed with that...

The Baltic can get very rough in a storm too...Each 2 weeks we are out at sea we have to go through the mandatory rescue excercises..And it can get hectic especially in the
fall and wintertime...

So I guess it wont be too difficult to grow into the canoe on a calm lake... :they also sell canoe stabilizers or flotation devices that are set to the sides of the canoes here if we
need.. except I dont know what they are in English... :thinking

You folks are great.... :applause
Best wishes
Classic Finn the student canoe builder :cool