Ideal all round canoe?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Duncs

Ideal all round canoe?

Post by Duncs »

Hi from England,

I'm looking to build a canoe that will have to serve many purposes; solo and tandem tripping mostly on river but with lake use too. Ideally - and maybe this is where it gets complicated - it also needs to be suitable for day trips with 2 small children too (they're never too young to start learning!). Would I be in the right ball park with the "ideal all round canoe" - the 16' Prospector or does anyone (with a little more experience!) have any thoughts or suggestions?

I'd be most grateful for any help.

Thanks a lot.

Duncs
:thinking
Rick

Post by Rick »

The 16' Prospector is the traditional all-round choice, and has a history of being paddled either solo or tandem, loaded heavy or light, with good results. With two kids and two adults, a larger Prospector version, the Nomad, will provide more space, but will likely be more difficult when paddled solo in the trade-off. For a more modern design, the Freedom 17 should be faster, with a little less stability and load capacity.

Paddled solo, the Freedom will need a kneeling thwart installed amidships, which might not be as comfortable as paddling the Prospector reversed. A removeable yoke might be added for portaging the Freedom (to allow sitting when solo, since the yoke and kneeling thwart will be so closely spaced), or slidiing seat designs, or combination seat/yoke, etc.... all of which seem rather clunky complications, so my choice would be the Prospector, simple in design, reliable and versatile... in my opinion, anyway. Good luck!
Duncs

Post by Duncs »

Thanks for taking the time to reply Rick; I greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Duncs