plan selection between redbird,freedom and propector

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
paul

plan selection between redbird,freedom and propector

Post by paul »

Looking for advice on plan/canoe selection.

Profile:
Male
6’2- 190 #’s
Long Legs (important as my legs are usually fairly sore from forcing them beneath the seat, when kneeling)

Tandem Partner
Female 135 lbs
5’2”

Backcountry hiker who will almost always be packing fairly lightweight gear.

Average trip length 2-4 days.

Will generally ride tandem, (although do not want to rule out solo)

Will generally travel flat water with 10-15% moving water.

Have access to good quality WRC in 20’.

Skill Level- although beginner has strong desire to develop medium to high skill level.

I have been looking strongly at the redbird, freedom 17 and possibly the prospector 16.

A few questions

1. Will stability be an issue for me with the freedom

2. Is 17’ to long for tandem paddling (no children,lighter gear)

3. Is the redbird more of an ocean.rough water canoe.

4. Will I outgrow the prospector?

Plus any other tips that you can offer.

Thank you in advance
Rick

Post by Rick »

The Freedom 17 - fast flatwater canoe, paddles well solo with a kneeling thwart, the narrowness in the hull shouldn't be too much volume when going lightweight.

The 16' Prospector is wider and has more gear capacity, more rockered and will turn more easily on rivers, greater stability if that's an issue, and can be paddled reversed when going solo, (most likely less efficiently than the Freedom but the kneeling thwart won't be needed).

The Redbird is probably too large and heavy if going lightweight is what you want to do.

I wouldn't say that the Freedom's an unstable canoe, especially since you'll be kneeling for a more stability... it might seem a little tender at first, most paddlers get used to that quickly and balance becomes second nature as their paddling skills develop to match the canoe.

I'd say go with the Freedom... happy paddling!
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Well, anyone who has been here for awhile won't be surprised when I write this: Build the Freedom. It's sweet. I'm 200, 5'10". The little lady is 130, 5'7", and we pack light light light. I come out of lightweight long distance hiking and she doesn't like to carry heavy stuff. The Freedon is a fast on flat water. It paddles nicely solo, although I would just paddle a solo canoe when going solo (Steve, Freedom Solo ready yet?) It's also a nice canoe of moving water. It think that the Freedom is about the best canoe out there and we have no problems taking 7 day trips out of it, and we've even loaded it with three people for a multiday trip in the BWCA. Oh ya, and everyone says the Freedom is nice for sailing also, and I'm going to build a rig for mine this summer.
The only thing you might not like is riding up front in the Freedom. It's a little tight, but I have a friend who is 6'5" and 190 and he says he doesn't mind riding up there. I'm not real found of it, but when Ilena wants to drive, I'll put up with the bow position.
1. Will stability be an issue for me with the freedom
Nope. It's stable. We have no problems walking around in the canoe, and I have no problem walking the gunwales.
2. Is 17’ to long for tandem paddling (no children,lighter gear)
Perfect size for tandem paddling.
No. Someone can correct me, but the Redbird is a flat water canoe, and probably not the best for rough conditions.
4. Will I outgrow the prospector?
Nope. If legandary paddler Bill Mason never outgrew the Prospector, you probably won't either. I'm a pretty experienced paddler and was thinking about the Prospector for my next tandeem. That's going to have to wait for a new solo canoe and a two new kayaks though. Beware, building is very addictive.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Bryan Hansel wrote:
No. Someone can correct me, but the Redbird is a flat water canoe, and probably not the best for rough conditions.

Bryan, is this considered a correction?: "This Bear Mountain design is an efficient wilderness canoe that has proven exceptionally seaworthy, even in heavy seas around the Magdalen Islands in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the North Sea. Its keeless shallow-arch hull with moderate rocker combines with a long waterline and fine entry to make it a fast responsive boat. The bow and stern profile are reminiscent of the Long Nose Ojibwa Rice Harvesting canoe. The sides have a moderate tumblehome for lateral strength and to allow outwales wide enough to turn aside waves and spray."
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I stand corrected. Who would have thunk it? I guess the slug at the top of the page, "a fast light daytripper" stuck in my head all these years as a boat for nice calm days. And the tumblehome.