New to Kayaks Which To Choose?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
rtowsley

New to Kayaks Which To Choose?

Post by rtowsley »

I would like to build a wooden strip kayak and have been looking at the plans in "Kayakraft". I can't make up my mind between the Endeaver and the Resolute. Has anyone built one who lives in the Rochester, NY area? I would like to sit in one before I build it. Taking it for a paddle would be an added benefit. Rich
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Rich, those two kayaks are slightly different in that the Resolute has more stability than the Endeavour but it is also a bit slower to paddle because of the greater width and shorter length. You will have to choose between extra stability or extra speed. Your body and equipment weight could also be a factor in making your choice.

I hope you get the chance to test-paddle both designs.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

If you can't find one to paddle, we might be able to help you narrow your choice if you tell us how you see yourself using the kayak.
rtowsley

Post by rtowsley »

Thanks for the replies Glenn and Bryan. I am 6'1'' tall about 225 lbs. and would like to paddle on the Erie Canal for exercise. I also walk four miles a day but need upper body exercises. I might also use the kayak to explore lakes in the state of New York. Thanks for any help. Rich
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

With this data, I believe the Endeavour would be perfect.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I'm with Glen. Out of these two, the Endeavour would be the way to go.
rtowsley

Post by rtowsley »

Would there be an Endeaver at the Rendezvous 2006. What is some more info on that weekend in August? Rich
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I am pretty sure someone will show up with an Endeavour or possibly Ted will have one there. The lineup of events isn't complete yet but so far I can tell you that Saturday August 19th will be spent at the Dell Creary Park in downtown Peterborough and Sunday will be at the Bear Mountain Boat Shop. Joan is still confirming who will be presenting what but it promises to be very interesting. Hope to see you there.
Denis

rendevous

Post by Denis »

Hi RT

I will be at the Rendevous and I have a Resolute you may try if you come up. I do concur with the others that the Endeavour is most likely the boat for you. If I had had a chance to paddle one first before I built my Resolute I think I would have built the Endeavour instead. I was concerned with stability but found the Endeavour was quite stable and slips along nicely.

Denis from Lakefield Ontario