Redbird, Keshequa 170 or Traveler

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Wilkie

Redbird, Keshequa 170 or Traveler

Post by Wilkie »

Hi Gang,

I am new to this list and I'm anxiously looking forward to building my first strip canoe. The only problem is that I can't decide on which design to build-the Redbird, the Keshequa 170 or the Traveler.

I believe that canoe designs are always going to be somewhat of a compromise. I like different features from different canoes and I'm trying to decide which features are more important. My criteria so far are as follows:

1. Speed-not important. My wife and I will be using the canoe to spend quality time together. We will have no particular place to go and no time that we have to be there.

2. Classic good looks-definitely! We both love the classic lines of the Redbird, Keshequa 170 and the Traveler (a new design by Newfound Woodworks that was launched in June 2005)

3. Stability-you betcha! I am currently overweight at 220lbs but I'm working hard to get under 200lbs. My wife weighs 110lbs dripping wet. We will mostly be using the canoe on quiet lakes and lazy rivers here in the midwest. We would both love to be able to fish from the canoe as well. We may also use the canoe for weekend camping trips but nothing major.

This is where we stand.

The Redbird:
Pros: Classic Good Looks!
Cons: A bit shallower than the other two designs

The Keshequa 170:
Pros: 14" Depth and 36" Beam
Cons: Design does not incorporate stem bands.
Wouldn't this be a structural issue?

The Traveler: (a new design by Newfound Woodworks)
Pros: A modern hull design with lots of tumblehome
Cons: Too much recurve in the stems for my taste.
Also, it's a new design with little info avail.

That's it. I know that ultimately it is a decision to be made by my wife and I but any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks........
Scott
St. Louis, MO

ps- This canoe building thing is like a disease or something. I carry pictures of the 3 designs around with me everywhere I go. My wife said I need help! That's why I joined this site!! :wink
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Lot's of Redbird builders on this BBS...I think its a very classic look and everyone that has built one likes to paddle it.

I personally have the Bob's Special. My wife and I like it to just knock around. Good stability, a bit shorter and lighter than the 17 ft Redbird, a little easier to build, etc.

Think about how you are going to use the canoe a bit more. Then the selection may be easier...Juneaudave