English 20 … to build or not to build? (HELP !)

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Graham

English 20 … to build or not to build? (HELP !)

Post by Graham »

Hi
Its would seem that my story is not dissimilar from many other here – Have the dream to build a canoe, bought the book – Canoecraft by Ted Mores and Merilyn Mohr, have read the book from cover to cover and now have to make a choice.
The canoe that appeals to me is the English 20 (page 44 Canoecraft 1983 edition). I have searched this forum from top to bottom and cannot find any mention of any one having built one.

So my questions are:
Has anybody built one or do you know of anybody who may have built one?
What is the general feeling towards this canoe design?

Any assistance or help would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards Graham
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I know that at least one fellow has built the English 20 so maybe you could contact him through his website and get his comments on this design: http://v5o5jotqkgfu3btr91t7w5fhzedjaoaz ... index.html
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hi Glen
Many thanks for the link - Looked at the pictures on his web site of the English 20 Canoe ... absolutely exquisite ! That has got to be one of the most beautifully built canoes I have ever seen.. If I was in any doubt - that has cleared them.
Regards
Graham
sedges

English 20

Post by sedges »

I have built two of these over the years. It is a very nice hull. It has good initial stability and a firm feeling when it is rolled to near the gunnel. It is not a speedster, but has a nice cruising speed that is almost effortless to achieve.

It is not a great canoe for hauling a big load. I use it more for day trips when there is not a lot of gear. Two lightweight folks could do 7-10 days of camping if you pack like a backpacker.

It is a pleasure to paddle solo and would be a fine solo for a big person.

I do not understand why Bear Mountain no longer offers the plans. It would also be a good hull to modernize, the way the Nomad is an update to the Prospector, by straightening out the hollow in the waterlines.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hi Sedges
Thank you for your comments .. My uses here in the UK would be only daytrips and fly fishing so looks like this is the one for me. Would you be kind enough to send me some photographs of yours.
Regards
Graham