All around canoe for two and a dog??

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
alex

All around canoe for two and a dog??

Post by alex »

I am getting ready to build my first canoe, and would like input on a design.

It will see mostly lake use, some camping. My wife and I have done a lot of very light backpacking and do not see a reason to start packing heavy. I weigh 165, she is 115 and our dog is 45.

I would like this boat to be stable enough to stand and fly fish from (I currently do this in a 17' grummen aluminum canoe). I would like it to be able to negotiate class 1-2 rivers, be as fast as possible on flat water and track well, fully loaded. It also should be symmetrical, so that I can paddle solo from the front seat backwards (do not like to kneel).

It will see a lot of use as a fishing craft on northern California lakes, and should perform well lightly loaded for only a day (or less) of fly fishing.

Sounds like I'm asking a lot from only one boat!

I'm currently leaning toward the 15' Ranger, as I will probably build a larger boat later. I have no doubt that this will not be my only strip built boat, but it will be the only one this year!!

Also, is Redwood a good choice for the hull? seems to be more available and better quality around here (Sacramento area) than WRC. I will rip/bead/flute my own strips.

Also plan Ash, Black Walnut (I have an enoumous amount), and possibly spruce (if I can find it!) for the trim.

cheers,
-Alex
alex

Post by alex »

how would a Bobs special do for my above situation?? is it capable of one-two night trips with two adults (light packers) and a medium size dog??

-Alex
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Bob's Special is touted as being a good fly fishing canoe and it can be built as a 15 or 16 footer. I haven't tried one mtself so I can't elaborate any more than that.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Alex, a canoe large enough for two, with packs, and a dog, might need to be 16 feet or more. Maybe you could rent a fifteen-footer to see if there'll be enough volume for all. I'd lean towards the 16' Prospector since it does have the volume while still being versatile and relatively efficient. If things need to be kept light, the Bob's will also be a good choice.
alex

Post by alex »

how does the Bob's Special do in rivers?? I think that until I build a bigger boat, the 15' canoe will work, although it will be tight.
-Alex
Rick

Post by Rick »

The 15' Bob's rate of turn will be OK for most winding rivers, since it's a short hull and turning will be easier than in a 16-footer. The 15' Ranger has more rocker and higher ends and sides, which will make it turn more easily and deal with waves in whitewater (although cedarstrips aren't normally used much in WW, while Royalex is), but the downside will be that it most likely won't track as well as the Bob's, it'll be more affected by headwinds and it'll be heavier because of the increased hull area. The Ranger also has more internal volume because the ends are full while the Bob's should be faster, having finer ends.

I haven't tried the Ranger, the Bob's is a good all-round tripping canoe with a versatile combination of lightness, paddling efficiency, good solo characteristics and the ability to carry a decent load.

IMO, the Bob's also looks better than the high-ended Ranger, to my eye it has a sleeker appearance and would be great in cedarstrip... I don't think you'll be disappointed with either canoe, however, if the characteristics you describe in your first post still hold, I'd lean towards the Bob's... good luck!