Can't decide on a short kayak

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
rabblerouser

Can't decide on a short kayak

Post by rabblerouser »

This is my first time building, and I plan to build a short kayak (about 15 feet) because I simply don't have the room to build a longer version.

I'm fairly new to kayaking, 5'7 and about 150-160 lbs.

The designs i was considering are the venture, 14 foot great auk, and caspian sea. I strongly prever the venture because it looks nice, and because i have already cut some of the wood, including the sheer clamps that are unique to this design.

However, i am worried about the relative instability of this boat. Any thoughts?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

As you say, the instability is relative. I have a Venture and it does feel tippy on calm water. It loves rougher water though and feels very stable when paddled through waves of any size (or almost). However, I only weigh 125 pounds so I don't get the Venture down to the design waterline which makes it feel even tippier. With your weight it should handle much better and you would probably get used to the feeling in short time.
rabblerouser

Post by rabblerouser »

Yeah i'm thinking of just going with the original idea and building a venture anyways.

However, the other boats seems to have 2" wider beams at the water line and harder chines. I'm worried about tipping :(
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

As I already stated, the Venture will be more stable with your weight than with mine. The only time I actually flipped with the Venture, I was paddling in conditions unfit for a novice like myself and got caught by a 6 foot reflecting wave off the dock. Under "normal" paddling conditions I would put my trust in the Venture. One of my daughters paddled the Venture as her first kayaking experience and enjoyed it.

Actually, getting used to paddling a "narrower" kayak will prepare you to comfortably paddle other, better performing kayaks later. I recently paddled a self-designed 22" kayak and now I find my 24" one is like a barge. My next design will probably be only 21.5" wide.
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Glen's got a good point, a wide kayak can be decieving. Here's a clip from a very informative site, Oneoceankayaks.com

"Many novice paddlers, being apprehensive of 'tippy' kayaks, tend to select short and wider craft wanting a very stable and predictable platform to learn on. In reality, once they are in this boat, there is nothing to learn and they soon realize that little additional performance can be squeezed out of such kayak. Think of a child practicing on a small bicycle with 'outboard' training wheels. As soon as balance is established and the fear of falling off is over, the support wheels become a hindrance. A bicycle or kayak like this becomes a real drag and is quickly retired to the back of a garage not to be used again.

High performance, seaworthy kayaks (like the Cape Ann Storm or the Expedition), on the other hand, will feel a bit 'tender' (lower primary stability) on flat water but this tendency becomes an asset in larger chop and random wave patterns because the kayak is not rocked and thrown around by pitching waves passing under the hull from all directions. Flat bottomed or wide (beamy) kayaks that behave so well on smooth water become as unpredictable in waves as the wave pattern they are in. Since the wide flat bottom 'wants' to sit flat even on the slanted face of the wave, the paddler must continuously fight and lean to regain upright attitude. A moment of inattention can turn into a swimming lesson very quickly. Kayaks that are very stable on flat water are said to have high 'primary stability'.

Good info on this site if you want statisics. Personally I am building my 2nd Expedition so I am a little predjudiced, I like his boats!
No offence Bear Mountain! You've got a GREAT forum. :embarassed