freedom 15 or cottage cruiser

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
john fx

freedom 15 or cottage cruiser

Post by john fx »

My current canoe tracks well and is fast but I would now like somethng more manouverable and seaworthy. My first choice is a freedom 15 (it would definately be a freedom 17 if I had the room). I like the shape, the ideas behind the design and I feel it would give me a balance between good tracking and manouverability for the grade 1/2 rivers and open water that travel. It also has the shape to make a good sailor.

My concerns are that the figures of wl beam of 33.4" and surface area of 28 sq' will make it a slow boat. However on review of the figures I see that although the the CC has much lower figures with a wl beam 31.75" and surface area of 22.85sq' it is for a displacement 70lbs less. If the load is increased so that the displacement is 400lbs the draft and wl beam will also increase. Conversely if the Freedom is lightly loaded the draft and wl beam will come nearer the CC. Therefore are the canoes going to perform the same in terms fo speed and efficiency?

Is my thinking correct? Is there anyone out there that has paddled both canoes and can give me some advice or opinions?

I apologise if this has already been brought up. I have looked and have not found anything.
Steve Killing

Freedom 15 versus Cottage Cruiser

Post by Steve Killing »

John,
The Cottage Cruiser and the Freedom 15 if compared at a common displacement of 400 lbs shape up as follows:

Beam waterline - the Cottage cruiser has a little more curvature near the waterline so that even though the maximum beams are similar (around 35”) the waterline beam of the cruiser is 32.5” versus the Freedom at 33.4”. This partially contributes to the Freedom’s greater stability (although both boats have comfortable stability)

Wetted Surface - the Cottage Cruiser has a lower wetted surface (27.2 versus 28.0) and consequently will be slightly easier to paddle at lower speeds. I have not seen a direct comparison of these boats on the water, but suspect the Cottage Cruiser will be a faster boat - it is narrower, longer and has less wetted surface - all contributors to speed.

The choice - Speed is often not the biggest consideration in choosing a canoe. If speed is really important then I would push for the Freedom 17 (longer and slimmer). If speed is not the biggest issue then I would have a close look at the aesthetics of the boat in your decision - do you want a classic (Cottage Cruiser) or more modern shape (Freedom 15)?

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,
Steve Killing
john fx

Post by john fx »

Thanks Steve for the reply. This explains everything clearly. I have eventually, after much faffing about, have decided to go for the Freedom 15 as I prefer the more modern shape. I suspect at the end of the day they are both nice boats to paddle.

John