freedom 17 or... bob's special?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
sluggo

freedom 17 or... bob's special?

Post by sluggo »

Hey there,
I was convinced that i was going to build a freedom 17, but I'm starting to have some doubts.

The original intent for having a canoe is to go out with the family (wife and two small kids, will be 2 & 4). I think our total weight is around 320lbs. This would be kicking around lakes and ocean shoreline. Maybe a few years down the road the use would be more for solo/tandem fishing on lakes.

I believe the Freedom17 fits the bill, but maybe so does a Bob's Special stretched to 16'? For fishing maybe the bob's special is preferred because it's a symmetrical hull (I think)?

thanks
Rick

Post by Rick »

Sluggo, my choice would be the Freedom because the hull is more efficient for faster and easier paddling. Both should be stable enough to fish from going solo, with the Bob's a little more stable which might make things more comfortable.

The extra foot of room in the Freedom will probably be worth it when two kids are added in, and conversion to solo use is possible with the addition of a kneeling thwart or center seat, which will reduce interior space if it isn't removable. The Bob's should be OK paddled solo and reversed, and should be the more versatile canoe because the kneeling thwart won't be needed. The 16' version might actually be too large and wide to paddle easily solo in winds, although that depends on how heavily loaded it is.

They are both good canoes, IMO, the Freedom has the edge.

Anyway, good luck with either, with two growing kids, added interior volume is always valuable, and you'll most likely find the Freedom OK to paddle solo.
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

I'm probably over-complicating things right now by over-analyzing, but...

We took the kids out in a 17' Coleman today. There was plenty o' room. I'm sure a 16' or 15' would also work.

Another issue that would really work in my favour is keeping th boat 16' or less. this allows me to use a bunch of strips without scarfing. My build space is also a bit tight. So maybe a Freedom 15 is an option too.