Solo tripper or Freedom solo???

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Ericthenorse

Solo tripper or Freedom solo???

Post by Ericthenorse »

OK... so I am new here to the forum, but have been checking out the boats at Bear Mountain for a while... I have been gathering up tools and wood for a while now, and I just need to decide on a plan.... When I started looking, there was the Solo tripper, but it appears that recently, they have added the Freedom solo to the lineup.... I am a fairly large guy, (6' 5" and roughly 300lbs) so I am worried about capacity.... I see in the description of the freedom, that it will take up to 330 ish lbs in the 16.2 version.... Since I weigh in almost at the top of that scale, I wonder if the stations can be extended just a bit further to give me a little more float? Also, the max weight for the Solo tripper is not listed... Does anyone have a clue as to what it's max is??? I am really into the idea of a solo boat, but I need to make sure it will handle my load before I build...
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

A general rule with the Bear Mountain designs is that you can load a boat so it sinks down 2" lower than the design waterline and it will still perform well and be safe.

The Solo Tripper has a displacement of 244 pounds at the designed 3" waterline and it requires 123 pounds to sink it 1" more. So, if the boat itself weighs roughly 54 pounds, we can load it with 190 pounds to get it down 3", a total of 313 pounds will sink it 4" and a total of 436 pounds will sink it down to the 5" waterline which is the recommended maximum for this canoe. These weights include the paddler and all gear.

Using the figures given for the canoe designs on this website and respecting the 2" extra sinkage rule should help you zero in on a decent canoe for your needs.
Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse »

Thanks for the explanation... I think I finally know what all those numbers are for.. :applause Now, that I know they will at least hold me up, it is just a matter of which design I prefer.... :twisted evil
Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse »

One more question... Do you think either of these boats would do well with the seat lowered almost to the bottom... I would like to use it more like a kayak with a double paddle... Kind of like a big Rob Roy...
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Rob Roy has less depth making it easier to reach the water with a double blade paddle while sitting almost on the bottom of the hull. You might want the seat to be at least 4" above the hull bottom for easier paddling. There are some people who use a double blade paddle to propel their canoe while sitting on a seat installed at the "normal" height.