Something like the Kipawa...

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Fleetwalker

Something like the Kipawa...

Post by Fleetwalker »

I think I'm going to take the plunge and try my hand at building a boat. I'm excited at the prospect, although I'm not just new to boat building, I'm pretty much new to woodworking. Still, I figure this as a good a way as any to learn some woodworking techniques, and this project limits the amount of damage I can do to critical infrastructure (e.g., house) while I learn. Plus, strip boats are so cool.

On the plus side, I'm not new to canoeing. My wife and I have a Swift Kipawa (Expedition Kevlar layup) that we really like. With two small kids, though, its starting to look a little cramped. What I'm looking for is a similarly-sized boat. The idea would be that each of us would be able to have one kid with us, and as the kids grow up they would learn to canoe. However, the canoe should be big enough to allow us to tandem with two kids. We primarily do day trips or short overnights on lakes and rivers (no whitewater). Portaging (except to and from the car) is not a significant consideration, although lighter is better obviously. One of the things I really love about the Kipawa is how "untippable" it is, especially when loaded with gear, so I want a design with good final stability. Inital stability is not a significant concern. Tracking is probably more important than maneuverability, but I don't really want a tank and I'm not a fan of keels (but maybe I need to be educated on this latter point). Finally, I'd like a boat that is soloable, even if that is not its primary role.

At the end of the day, it seems like the design that fits me best may be the one I already have - the Kipawa. However, I'd love to have some variation in my life. Is there a design that meets my criteria as well or better than the Kipawa?

Thanks for reading my long message. Look forward to your answers.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

How about the "Winisk" from Green Valley?

From the description on the Green Valley web site:
Like its smaller sister, the Kipawa, the Winisk is a true multi-purpose canoe. For families with children or those who prefer the security and stability of a larger canoe, the Winisk is the logical choice. It has the safe and secure feel essential for tripping with children, yet rewards the enthusiastic paddler with a rare combination of beauty and performance.
Or perhaps one of the Bear Mountain Freedom designs?
Freedom 17
Freedom 17-9

Cheers,
Bryan
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

To stay in the same category and add a little variety, you should switch to a new designer. Check out the Freedom's.