HELP! Still can't decide on kayak

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
rabblerouser

HELP! Still can't decide on kayak

Post by rabblerouser »

I'm a lightweight, about 5'8 around 155lbs and a novice paddler
I was thinking about making the venture, but maybe the endeavour 17 would be better?
The boat will be used primarily in closed algonquin lakes for day trips
THe strips I have are 16' long (ripped for the venture)
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Venture feels rather unstable on calm water but really finds its place in waves. They don't call it "sporty" for nothing! The Endeavour would be much more stable but it is much more boat to handle. I might get shot for saying this but I feel you could build a kayak that is better suited to your weight and experience level. This link will take you to what I consider to be a very good choice for your needs: http://www.greenval.com/caspian.html
rabblerouser

Post by rabblerouser »

But the plans for the caspian don't seems to be as good as those for the bear mountain boats
I also wanted to do it in the split/scew together method to simplify glassing the interior
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

In that case, go with the Endeavour.
rabblerouser

Post by rabblerouser »

How is the caspian constructed? as one piece and then you're on your own to glass the inside or...?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I have never built a Caspian nor any other boat from Greenval however, if you feel up to it, you could modify the forms to take a sheer clamp similar to the Bear Mountain designs. You can also modify the stem forms for inner and outer stems if necessary.

Even if you don't use sheer clamps, you build these boats the same as others. Strip the hull and glass it, flip over and strip the deck then glass it making sure to apply tape to the seams so the deck isn't stuck on the hull. Then you remove the deck and glass the inner side of both the hull and the deck. Pretty standard procedures so far. Now, if no sheerclamps are used, you align the deck on the hull, tape it in place then you glass the two together using fiberglass tape and epoxy along the inside seams then you do the same to the outside seams. You can find a lot of info about this process through websites such as One Ocean Kayak or by getting Nick Schade's book "The strip-built sea kayak".

Let me know if you have any more questions about this process.
rabblerouser

Post by rabblerouser »

Yeah I read nick schade's book
The bear mountain method with the strongback below the boat and using the sheer clamps seems to be the easier method.. but i guess i'm open to either one

what are your thoughts on the goergian bay?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Any type of kayak can be built on the external strongback like Bear Mountain uses.

The Georgian Bay is another nice kayak with good lines but the designer doesn't give info on the paddler weight range recommended for this kayak. You could email him for more info.
rabblerouser

Post by rabblerouser »

The chart on noah's marine supply says 150-280lbs for the georgian bay
I think the caspian sea would be a fine kayak for my purposes.. i just don't love it's lines
Maybe I should start here and build something pretty for my next one
rabblerouser

Post by rabblerouser »

Also, what about the redfish spring run s?

Any feedback on that one?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Spring Run 'S' would probably be the best choice of them all.
rabblerouser

Post by rabblerouser »

Why do you say that? :thinking
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I have spoken to Joe Greenley at Redfish kayak before about this kayak and it would suit your needs very well, plus it has very nice lines.
rabblerouser

Post by rabblerouser »

Yeah it is a very nice boat... I think this one is for me :)
Too bad noah's doesnt seem to carry these plans
KenC

Post by KenC »

No matter which strip-built kayak design you choose, the hull and deck would remain separate until after you've glassed the insides, and you would only bond the deck to the hull sometime later ... so that needn't be a consideration in deciding on a design.

Also, although each designer obviously has a preference as to internal or external strongback, I think any of the common designs could be done either way ... whichever is your own preference ... its just that if you deviate from the designer's preferences, you may have to do a little more figuring on your own. Personally, I started out using Ted Moores' external strongback, and that method makes perfect sense to me, so I'll use it again. OTOH, I may try the internal strongback just to see how I like it.

If there's a design that would suit your skill & intended use, but you just don't love the lines, then I suggest that that would be the wrong choice ... if the lines don't appeal to you, then why build it?

The Redfish kayaks do have nice lines ... the King is on my "to-build" list, one of these days.

Good luck with your build, whatever you choose. Where do you live? Maybe there's someone nearby who'd be willing to let you test-paddle.