First time builder - trying to choose the right design

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
cursor259

First time builder - trying to choose the right design

Post by cursor259 »

After recently reading the excellent "Canoecraft", I am inspired to try my hand at a woodstrip canoe. As a novice at both canoe construction and sailing I would appreciate the help of the forum at deciding which canoe design is best for me. I would like a canoe large enough for 2 reasonably sized adults to paddle but small enough for me to occasionally paddle solo. The canoe would mostly be used on lakes or close to shore on calm seas, but could see some use on calm rivers - not white water. After looking through the designs in "Canoecraft", I am unsure whether "Ranger 15" or "Prospector 16" would best suit my needs, or am I completely wrong in either of these. All advice on suitability for use and my ability would be eagerly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

It isn't easy to give you advice, not knowing the weight of two "reasonable" adults. :laughing

If you add up the weight of the 2 paddlers plus all their gear that should allow you to narrow down the choice a bit. The Ranger and Prospector are pretty much the same design except that the Prospector is a foot longer and has a higher capacity. Both have excellent stability and maneuverability. If one of these two meets your weight requirements then your search is over.
cursor259

Post by cursor259 »

Thanks Glen. I guess 2 reasonable size adults would be about 200lbs each.
Do you think the Ranger/Prospector would suit my proposed use and ability ok?
Steve.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Cursor, either canoe will do, the greater volume of the 16' Prospector will be more valuable when more space is needed at times, especially on canoe trips when overnight gear must be carried. The 16' is usually recommended as a good choice for general-purpose use. The 17' foot version is better for long trips, where extra supplies must be taken, while the 15' Ranger could be used on day trips, short canoe trips and going light. Glen's guidelines on loads also have to be taken into account.

The 16' Prospector was the recommended choice of Bill Mason, who made extensive wilderness journeys, and paddled this canoe both solo and tandem, loaded down and empty... here he is paddling solo with the canoe loaded with gear.

...and with the Prospector more lightly loaded...

Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

We recently completed a Ranger 15 and took it on a 5-day boundary waters trip. The canoe was a joy to paddle, but we felt cramped with two adults (210lbs & 180lbs) and three packs. The 16' Prospector would be my choice of the two Prospector designs if I was to do any overnight. I had heard by many about the low stability of the Ranger, but it is a very stable and predictable boat - she solos like a dream is would be a good canoe for poling.