double kayak

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Jonas

double kayak

Post by Jonas »

I enjoyed kayaking on Johnstone Strait this summer. My wife and I shared a Seaward G3 Passat double fibreglass kayak that performed very well, and felt very secure even in sizable waves and swells, and boat wakes. There was also no problem landing and launching on rocky beaches. I've built several boats, and am considering the Reliance 20'8" Tandem Kayak. Does anyone out there have any experience with this design? How does it behave? What's it like bringing it in to an "abrasive" shore? The one thing that gives me pause about building this in wood is its abilitiy to take a bit of rough handling. Not all beaches are sandy! I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks,
Jonas
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Hi Jonas,
I would recommend you check out the forum at http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/ and ask some questions there. A number of the regulars there are kayak builders. I'm sure some of the kayakers here will also provide some opinions.

Cheers,
Bryan
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I beat the snot out of my wooden kayaks. We don't have sand on our beaches around here -- just rock. I've landed plenty times on rocks. Not a huge issue, although I've had to repair my kayak. But I suspect my Romany would have been damaged in some of my landings.