canoe design for 8 yr old grandsons

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
James Hanrahan

canoe design for 8 yr old grandsons

Post by James Hanrahan »

Hello everyone,
Having just joined this forum and being very impressed with all the talent here, I seek your assistance in selecting a canoe design that I could build for each of my 8 yr. old grandsons. This would be a first canoe build for me. I have done some woodworking over the years.
these canoes would have to be light weight so a growing 8 yr. old could handle(with some help from Grandpa initially).I was thinking of something 12' or under and less than 30 lbs. These boys grow up fast these days, so I wouldn't want them to grow out of it in a couple of years.
I have acquired a copy of CanoeCraft and have read it cover to cover. As well, I have spent a lot of time reading on this forum and other relevant web sites. Being a pensioner, I will be working within a tight budget. I have a lot of the wood currently on hand as well as most of the tools( acquired ages ago). Most of my expense will be fiberglass and resins etc.
The only small canoe in CanoeCraft is the Rob Roy which shows a low stability factor, and is somewhat heavier than I think would be appropriate. As I didn't notice any completed pictures of it on Bear Mountain's web site, I wonder how popular a model it really is.
Sorry for such a long post, but I do hope that someone can give me some ideas as to what design would be fitting.
Thank you
James Hanrahan
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

The low stability factor (71) is probably misleading. Because it is intended to be paddled by a solo paddler sitting very low in the hull, the actual stability is much better than the 71 would suggest.

There are several pictures of the Rob Roy here:

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/gallery_Rob_Roy.htm

Have you considered building 1 canoe for both grandson's rather than a canoe each? You could then afford some additional weight perhaps (and build teamwork among them) as they carry it together until they are big enough to carry it on their own. You could get them both on the water more quickly at a lower cost. You could build a 2nd canoe later as their interests develop. Just thinking out loud.

Welcome to the forum.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
James Hanrahan

Post by James Hanrahan »

Randy.
Thanks for the speedy reply and information. I must have missed that link to the gallery pictures of the Rob Roy. Unfortunately, each grandson is from different families from different cities some distance apart, which is why I would like to build two canoes. The only time they both get to visit me together is some Xmas's. They visit several times each summer when school is out but they are here at different times.
Again, thanks for your help and the welcome.
James Hanrahan
Sonshine777

Post by Sonshine777 »

James,

Another canoe you may want to look at is a Wee Lassie, Its about 11' 6" long and weighs around 30 lbs.

You can find the plans and instructions for it in featherweight boat building. It is allot like the Rob Roy.

http://www.woodenboatstore.com/Prodinfo ... 104&item=1
Tom
James Hanrahan

Post by James Hanrahan »

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply. I will follow up on your suggestion regarding the Wee Lassie and the book.
Cheers
James
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

Hey James

Bryan Hansel has a photo of the Sairy Gamp.. Posted to my topic in:
Builders Forum
Design Possiblities, Practicalities.. to fit stock.. pg. 2, Sept. 12th.

I believe he has more on his website. I'm working on lofting the numbers for that boat right now. I want to make it 9 - 9 1/2' long and around 30 to 34" beam for my grandkids. The original is 26" wide.. but I want to widen it for fishing purposs.

I can't remember the URL for Bryans site, but I believe he has he talks quite a bit on this boat. Old Old design.

Rehd
James Hanrahan

Post by James Hanrahan »

Thanks again everyone for your helpful advice. I have ordered the plan for the Wee Robbie from Laughing Loon. In the meantime I am planing down some rough cedar to 3/4" . Also I have the strongback almost completed. I'm sure I will have to ask for plenty of your generous advice as I go along.
Thanks
James