First stripper/Best design for west Kentucky area?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
RTC

First stripper/Best design for west Kentucky area?

Post by RTC »

Hello Everyone, Yes I am going to build my first cedar strip canoe. From the very first time I saw one, I knew that I would some day build one. This is the time. I have been reading everything I can find on the net concerning canoes. I have learned a lot. I have not yet decided on the model of which to build. I am asking for help making the decision of which will be the best choice model for me to build. Now for the facts: I have 100 hours or less of paddling experience, but I do have 30 years experience on the water in powerboats. I have used just whatever canoe was available at the time, not knowing any details of the canoe at the time of use. Capacity: I am 6’2” and 200lbs and will have aprox. 50lbs of gear and my lab (Ruger) 80lbs. 90% of the time I will have less than 400lbs, but would like to be able to carry a second person and their gear for an overnight trip maybe once a year (500lbs total). I will be on the Kentucky and Barkley lakes. These are large and have many bays. Each lake is more than a 100,000 acres. I will also be using it on our local rivers, the Ohio, Tennessee and the Cumberland along with several small rivers. The current flow will be 2-3 MPH when I am on them. I don’t plan to be on the water in this canoe when it gets rough and never any white water. I like the traditional look best. I have a great appreciation for things of our past and I think the cedar strip canoe is one of the most beautiful. Please give me you input. I have no experience with different types of canoes but I have a lot of desire to learn. Thank you for you help and many peaceful days of paddling to you. Randal
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Randal, if you browse through this chart you will see that there a few canoe designs that would suit your needs: http://www.bearmountainboats.com/CanoeTechnical.htm

The Prospector is as "traditional" as they come but if you carry a passenger, camping gear and the dog, you might prefer something with a bit more length to it such as the Redbird, Nomad 17, or Chaa Creek Expedition 19/9.

Deciding which one to build is the toughest part of the process!
Rick

Post by Rick »

RTC,

The 16' Prospector is a very good all-round choice, and will provide enough carrying capacity for another paddler and gear, as well as being a good solo with enough room for a dog. Prospectors are popular here in Ontario, and in Kentucky, you might be able to find one to rent for a test-paddle before building, although there may be some differences from brand to brand.

You might prefer a smaller, faster canoe that's more suited to solo paddling - the Prospector is a larger canoe and will be affected by winds more which can make solo paddling difficult. I paddled Prospectors for years, and they are roomy, comfortable canoes, but for my cedarstrip, went with the Huron. For me, it's a great solo canoe, more tender and tippy, but comfortable enough, with good speed on lakes and in wind.

The Huron is smaller and won't have the gear capacity that the Prospector will, and paddling tandem, the narrowness can make things a bit cramped. Still, if solo paddling with traditional looks is the main thing, the Huron is a great choice and a step up in performance from a Prospector.

Kneeling is the best way to paddle a Huron, it leans over when paddling Canadian-style very well, as does a Prospector, but does feel somewhat unstable and tippy sitting down, when unloaded and solo.... so I would say that this is the best choice for a kneeling paddler, which is the way IMO paddling should be done. Otherwise, the Prospector will be the more stable choice.

Good luck!