Which Kayak to choose

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Sparetime

Which Kayak to choose

Post by Sparetime »

I am looking for some advice on kayak selection.

I am 5'9" and 170 lbs. My primary use for the boat will be lake superior, either the north shore or near the apostle islands. Also, some trips on the St. Croix river and Mississippi. So mostly for touring. I don't expect to make more than a 3 day adventure out, but will need to be able to get a tent, sleeping bag, etc. into the boat.

I have paddled sea kayak's before, although not extensively. I would call myself an experienced novice. I found I liked a narrower boat and speed over stability, although not terribly so. And I would rather grow into a boat than grow out of it quickly.

The method of choice for building is cedar strip of course.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I think that every strip kayak designer has a boat to suit your needs as you seem to fit the "ideal paddler profile" that they all aim for during the design stages.

Amongst the Bear Mountain designs, your best choice would be the Endeavour: http://www.bearmountainboats.com/17-0EndeavourKayak.htm
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Lake Superior is so rough at times, it's nice to have a kayak that can handle the rough stuff. Look for something with strong rough water handling and you may want to post this question over at the Kayak Forum also to get more opinions.

My old cedar strip kayak was similar to a NDK Explorer and was a great boat for Lake Superior. I've switched to a Romany now for the lake and am working on building the father to the Anas Acuta.
Sparetime

Post by Sparetime »

What are the reviews of the Giullemont design and Cape Ann Storm?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I hate to send people off to another Forum but you have a better chance of finding people who have paddled these two designs over on the Guillemot Forum: http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Building/index.cgi