Paddling in Heeled Position ?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Rehd Brown

Paddling in Heeled Position ?

Post by Rehd Brown »

Curious..!

I've watched this video " Canoe Paddling - Canadien Style" several times and I've checked out several of the canoe designs listed on this site. I've noticed that many state that they paddle better or worse, in the heeled position.
I'm wondering, what makes a particular design better paddled in the heeled position than others..?
Also, I'm partial to canoes with tumblehome ( asthetically speaking ) and am wondering, how does tumblehome affect a boats ability to be paddled in heeled position.??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4RJAeP7 ... re=related

Rehd
Rick

Post by Rick »

Rehd, initial and secondary stability will affect how well a canoe paddles heeled over... initial stability refers to how stable the canoe feels when it's level, flat-bottomed hulls generally have a great deal of initial stability and resist heeling, until there's a critical point reached and then they tip over very easily.

Arched, vee-shaped and rounded hull bottoms will have poorer initial stability, but often tend to firm up when heeled over and provide greater secondary stability in that position, so paddling heeled is easier and more efficient

The underwater hull shape changes when the canoe is heeled and designers will take this into account when designing their hulls for performance - how will the canoe paddle level, and how will it paddle heeled.

Rocker can also affect this since in a rockered hull like the Prospector's, the stems can lift out of the water when it's heeled, changing the underwater shape greatly, and aiding rate of turn, and speed, since there's less hull area in the water.

Tumblehome can make paddling easier when heeled, since the gunwales are drawn in, and there's less beam there to catch against hand and paddle. The narrowness at the sheerline makes control easier, especially when reaching under the canoe during certain strokes.

And when kneeling and going solo, heeling makes things MUCH easier generally... and since I'm Canadian, IMO, this is the ONLY correct way to paddle canoes.

No exceptions.

:wink
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

Arched, vee-shaped and rounded hull bottoms will have poorer initial stability, but often tend to firm up when heeled over and provide greater secondary stability in that position, so paddling heeled is easier and more efficient

The underwater hull shape changes when the canoe is heeled and designers will take this into account when designing their hulls for performance - how will the canoe paddle level, and how will it paddle heeled.

Rocker can also affect this since in a rockered hull like the Prospector's, the stems can lift out of the water when it's heeled, changing the underwater shape greatly, and aiding rate of turn, and speed, since there's less hull area in the water.
Interesting.! I was always under the impression that more rocker gave less tracking control, and heeled over, the rocker would be greatly increased.
In the video, the paddler seems to paddle a tad faster and with less effort, in a straight line, under power strokes... I cannot tell if the paddler is using a particular stroke control but I would assume he is. ?
Lots to learn.. Thanks for your response Rick.

Rehd
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Rehd Brown wrote: ....In the video, the paddler seems to paddle a tad faster and with less effort, in a straight line, under power strokes...
Rehd
I will explain it as I see it, and maybe someone will correct me. Sitting towards the center of the canoe, the canoe is wide. Therefore you have to reach out fairly far to for your stroke and the paddle tends to angle away from your body and away from the canoe. The force to the water is applied some distance from the hull, and even farther from the center point. This means you'll have to compensate with corrections strokes, which slow you down, or by switching sides frequently (which can also be slow if you are not skilled at marathon style paddling). By sitting next to the gunwale and leaning the canoe over some degree the paddle can be vertical in the water. The force is very close to the center of gravity and close to the body, both of which contribute to an efficient stroke and straight travel.

By comparison, in a kayak the stroke is far from the hull and far from the body. The effect that this would have on direction of travel is counteracted by having a boat designed with tracking in mind, and by alternating sides for the paddle force. In a tandem canoe, the paddlers are close to the ends where the canoe is narrow and the paddle can be kept vertical. In a solo marathon canoe (not heeled over) the canoe is narrow, straight, and long, and a fast stroke is used combined with switching sides on a regular basis.

Cheers,
Bryan
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

Thanks Bryan

That's probably what he was demonstrating in the pool and underwater..
Does make sense..!

Rehd
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I wrote something about this awhile back: http://www.nessmuking.com/solo.htm Also, check out Becky Mason's Classic Solo Canoe video. It's very good. Most likely the paddler in the video is using the C stroke or a variation of the c which puts the the paddle close to the centerline of the canoe for much of the stroke and adds a slight correction at both the beginning and end of the stroke.

You can do the same in kayaking by switching to a high angled paddle stroke vs a low angled one. Using a shorter kayak paddle changes the stroke this way. I've switched styles in strokes in kayak in the last two years and have dropped my kayak paddle length to between 215cm and 201cm. I'm 5'10".
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

Thanks Bryan..

I've ordered the DVD. Also ordered the revised Canoe Craft . I had the older version but loaned it to a fella on one of my routes 3 or 4 years ago as he was talking about building a canoe.. I got moved to a different part of town and forgot about the book... Don't know if he ever built the boat, but I miss my book.!

Kind of undecided as to which boat to build. I'm 6'3" and pushing 265 lbs. 58 years young. I like the Tumblehome look, so I'm leaning that way. I have little interest in long camping trips, maybe an overnighter at the most. I just like paddling, enjoying the scenery, maybe taking some pics.. Mostly putzin' around with friends, trying to get others interested. ( Builder first.. Paddler second.. )
Appreciate the info... thanks..!

Rehd