Freedom Solo

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
TommyC1

Freedom Solo

Post by TommyC1 »

Anybody paddle one?
Anybody have a paddling comparison to the Bell Magic or the Hemlock Peregrine or the Swift Osprey? Manuverability, response to heeling, stability, efficiency? How about wind and waves?

Wetted surface of 22 sq ft. That's the 15' 3" version I'll guess.
What's the wetted surface of the 16' 2"?

Looks to have a bit of rocker. Any figures on that? Better yet a description of the curves?

The bottom looks pretty round. Low initial stability? What about the secondary? Strong like the Osprey or scary like the Advantage?

:thinking
Steve Killing

Freedom Solo Specifications

Post by Steve Killing »

We are hoping to have someone finish a Freedom Solo next season so that we can get some of the subjective reactions to the boat that you are requesting. I can give you the expected results, but real life reports are always better.

The wetted surface of the 15-3” version is 22 sq.ft. and for the 16’ 3” version is 23.4. The stability I expect to be quite predictable up until the upper chine line gets immersed at around 20 degrees of heel - but you should be taking evasive action well before that time. The stability overall (stability factor of 95) is less than average as the boat is narrow - it will require at least intermediate paddling skills.

To measure the rocker I define two points on the profile of the hull at 90 percent of the waterline length. Connect these with a straight line and measure the greatest distance from that line down to the hull profile to get the rocker. For the Freedom Solo it is 1” and the rocker drag (amount the aft rocker point is below the forward rocker point in normal trim) is 1.4”.

Regards,
Steve Killing