Info on Lorna design..?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Rehd Brown

Info on Lorna design..?

Post by Rehd Brown »

I have been looking at designs again and am curious.
There doesn't seem to be much info on the 'Lorna'. Has anyone built one and what info can you share about characteristics.?
Speed, manuverability, tracking, paddled heeled over..?

Just Curious!

Rehd
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Rehd, no response yet, eh? I guess the Lorna, also known as the J.G. Brown, isn't a very popular design these days. The hull is fairly round and the initial stability is the lowest of all Bear Mountain canoe designs. It is also said to be "Narrow, fast and a pleasure to paddle". With a stability factor of only 74, it would require some "getting used to". What has attracted your curiosity to this design?
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

No particular reason..

Looks like a little tumblehome and it will haul my... uh... frame. Just curious about the specs. Didn't know it was the same as the J.G. Brown 16'. I got my new CanoeCraft yesturday and didn't see it in the study plans catalogue... Thought maybe it was discontinued.. But saw the 'Brown' and I'm sure it's too small for me and a grandkid or two.
And I'm probably not experienced enough anyway.

Sent you an email on that very thing just minutes ago. :)

Probably looking more at the Prospector 16 and Freedom 17.

Gotta get started on the Sairy Gamp now though.

Rehd
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Check the info on the J.G. Brown in the Study Plans Catalogue and you will see a reference to "Lorna".

Choosing a canoe is a difficult task at best! You need to determine which attributes are the most important to you (your planned usage and personal taste) by combining length, width, depth, capacity, stability and of course the appearance.

The Prospector is the most popular (and copied) design on the market but many paddlers are turning to asymmetrical canoes like the Freedoms. Again, it is a matter of needs and personal preference. Good luck in making a choice.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I was hoping that someone would comment on the Lorna - J.G. Brown, since the lake that's mentioned where it's used is only a few miles away from my home... I haven't had a chance to paddle one.

A Lorna and a Prospector would be very different canoes and intended for different purposes. Prospectors were designed to carry heavy loads on long trips with some stability, and the rocker would allow for easier turning, especially on rivers. My guess is that a Lorna would be almost the opposite, designed for lightly loaded lake cruising and short trips, greater speed, with much less initial stability, and for kneeling paddlers.

Depending on what you want to use it for, a Lorna could turn out to have great performance with some expertise in it, or it could turn out to be too tippy and most won't want to paddle it.

The only sure thing is, it's unlikely that you'll see anybody else out there paddling another Lorna.

:wink