Modifying the prospector 16

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
BradRob

Modifying the prospector 16

Post by BradRob »

Hey All,
I am new here and have just purchased plans for the prospector 16. While I start making the strong back for my new boat i would like make a smaller version of the prospector and do two at once. My question is how do i go about shrinking the design? Do i simply bring the stations in closer to make a 13 foot prospect. or do i remove 2 stations? Or do I need new plans altogether?Any thought s or ideas would be great.
Thanks, I am glad you have this component of your site available.
Brad
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Brad, let me post this quote from the F.A.Q.s section:
Q Can I modify an existing Bear Mountain design.....can I make changes to your plans? What will the result be?

A We suggest you proceed with caution here. It is hard to predict the performance of a design once it has been changed without taking into consideration the science of yacht design. We have asked Steve Killing about changes to Bear Mountain plans and this is what he had to say: Changing the length by 6 inches to a maximum of one foot will make me cringe a bit but ....go ahead if you must. The best technique is to change the spacing between each station - that keeps the boat fair and after a bit of modification to either the stem profile or the last station next to the stem, will produce a fine boat.
So, as you see, the designer does not recommend a change of more than one foot in length. Some builders have been bold enough to make any changes they desire and they seem to have been successful in most cases. However, a 3 foot change is quite a big change and it would be preferable to find a more appropriate design.
sedges

why

Post by sedges »

a 13' X 35" canoe? How do you anticipate using it?
BradRob

Re: why

Post by BradRob »

sedges wrote:a 13' X 35" canoe? How do you anticipate using it?
Hence the title Modifying the prospector 16.
I know they make the prospector in sizes ranging from 12 -17 foot. I was hoping that i could modify the 16 into a 13 using the same plans but evidently not. My sole reason for downsizing is to run quick water using the maneuverability in the prospector design solo, I understand that i can use my 16 solo but i also want strictly a solo canoe that would be light and have some white water capabilities. Most solo designs i have come across are for cruising. I will keep my eyes out for another design.
Thanks
Brad
sedges

some ideas

Post by sedges »

The 16' Prospector has certainly been used solo running rivers, but if you want a dedicated solo choosing a canoe designed for solo would get you a happier match. Shrinking the 16'Prospector in length only and not beam gets you a lighter boat, but doesn't improve the solo paddling characteristics. Shrinking the plans length and beam is a number crunching nightmare that rarely works out well.

There are some wonderful solo canoe plans out there.

If the Prospector characteristics is what you are after, Red River Canoe and Paddle have plans available for the old Chestnut Fox. This really is like a dedicated solo Prospector! 14'X30". The plans that I got are for a wood/canvas mold, but can easily be modified for wood strip molds.

http://www.redrivercanoe.ca/

Another design is the Half Moon from the Carrying Place. Lots of rocker for moving water paddling.

http://www.carryingplacecanoeworks.on.c ... lfmoon.pdf

The Osprey, a john Winters design is also a good moving water design. Very modern, very different from traditional hulls.

http://www.greenval.com/osprey.html

And last, but not least, a very wonderful design from Steve Killing on this website

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/15-3FreedomSolo.htm

A dedicated solo with enough rocker to be comfortable on moving water. Like the Osprey, this is a very modern design with deferential rocker and pinched in at the gunnel for easy solo paddling.
BradRob

Post by BradRob »

Thank you . You ahve been most helpful.
Brad