Stony Lake 16'

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
JSousa

Stony Lake 16'

Post by JSousa »

Hi All,
I plan to build a two person row boat that I will use in the inner harbors of SE Massachusetts.
The double ended Stony Lake has caught my eye, this will be my 1st attempt at boat building.
I would be interest to hear anyones comments on what I'm in for and or choice of boat, especially if you have built one. Recommended reading material/DVD would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
J Sousa
Cyril Gosse

Post by Cyril Gosse »

Couldn't help but notice that you received no replys on your question of row boats. There have been a few fellows on the site who have built row boats but for the most part these have been the Rice Lake skiff. If you are looking for a sharp looking boat with really good stability I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Rice Lake skiff. The stripping is for the most part straight forward with no awkward twists, the boat will come in at less then on hundred pounds and it is a dream the row and fish from. It is very stable and can tale a wave from bow,side or stern with little effect. I run about 185 lbs and have purposely sat on the gunnel at amidships and left a safe margin of freeboard. We have on occasion put three people in the boat , all fly fishing with absolutely no cause for concern. Dave , up north, uses a four horsepower motor in the salt chuck.and finds that his skiff performs well. I would assume that he would have a load up front to balance off the motor. I have rigged mine with one set of oars and have a 30 ft/lb electric motor for fishing. Hope this helps even if it is a little delayed. If I can be of any help don't hesitate to email me.

Cyril