I have decided to build rather than purchase a canoe .

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
ptredrunner

I have decided to build rather than purchase a canoe .

Post by ptredrunner »

And I am having difficulty deciding on a design. My son and I usually rent a 17' Souris River Quietico Kevlar to travel in the Boundary Waters of northern Minn. This canoe is light, stable and expensive. We usually are out for about 5 days traveling 8 to 12 miles /day. Total wt would be about 500#. I would also like to be able to use it for shorter distance solo trips but would want to sit (not kneel) Travel would be on lakes and slow rivers, likely wind and waves at times. We also do a lot of fishing. I am thinking of Bob's special extended to 16' Or possibly the freedom 15 extended to 16' or the 17' freedom.
I am concerned that Bob's 15 might not be big enough and maby to slow and the 17' freedom may not be stable enough for fishing or rough water. Would extending Bob's 15 make it faster and still retain stability and would shortening the 17' freedom make it more stable. Maby I'm thinking about this wrong.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Consider the Redbird. With its symetric hulll design, you can paddle it solo from the bow seat nicely. It's 17'6" but I shrank it to 17' when I built it. It's a fantastic boat. You will find lots of love for both the Redbird and the Freedom on this forum. I've built both (hope to finish the Freedom in the next month). The Freedom was easier to strip. I think the Redbird is a much more beautiful boat to look at (if that's important).

Oh yeah, and congratulations on making a great decision to build. You will love the experience (particularly if you get your son involved in the project).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Rick

Post by Rick »

Runner,

The SR Quetico is a flat-bottomed design and stable for that reason... I don't think this is a good design feature, but since stability, at least initial stability, is what you want, canoes with a higher stability number would be most suitable. The 17/9 Freedom might do, and be able to carry all the gear you need.

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/CanoeTechnical.htm

The problem with larger canoes is that they can be difficult to paddle solo, especially in a wind, so maybe the Redbird or something smaller could be more suitable in the long run. The lesser initial stability is something that one gets used to, like riding a bike, once you have it you never lose it. OTOH, if there will be people that can't take a twitchy canoe, then the 17/9 Freedom would be it.

Good luck!
pawistik

Re: I have decided to build rather than purchase a canoe .

Post by pawistik »

ptredrunner wrote:...I am concerned that Bob's 15 might not be big enough and maybe to slow and the 17' freedom may not be stable enough for fishing or rough water. Would extending Bob's 15 make it faster and still retain stability and would shortening the 17' freedom make it more stable. Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
A couple more points regarding stability. Initial stability may be more comfortable and useful for fishing, but it is not an asset in rough water. A flat bottom will ride and tilt with the waves whereas the round hull will stay upright more easily, allowing the waves to roll underneath, yielding a higher final stability.
I found that graphic as well as a description of the effects of hull shape at the following link: http://www.canoeart.com/en/performances.htm

Another factor is length of the hull. A hull with a longer waterline tends to be more stable. The longer canoe will handle two paddlers and gear more easily, but will also present a higher surface area to the wind so could be more difficult to handle in the wind. That aspect would be my concern with the beautiful but high-decked redbird as a canoe intended for occasional solo use (I have no real-life experience with the redbird).

I would expect that any general tripping canoe could be used for fishing by the experienced paddler, I certainly use mine for that purpose. Don't walk around and cast standing up like it's a 17' aluminum fishing boat with a live well. Don't have both you and your partner leaning over the gunwales to check out that monster fish. Save the drinking for later while the fish fry in butter.

Any canoe is a collection of compromises. No one hull does everything perfectly in all conditions with all paddlers. So we have to make our choices and "predict" what will best fit the bill, now and as skills change. That's also the reason many of us have the burning desire to own/build a flotilla of boats (sadly, I only have two but there should be a third by the summer).

Cheers,
Bryan