Freedom Solo 15'3" or 16'2"?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Bosco

Freedom Solo 15'3" or 16'2"?

Post by Bosco »

I would like to build the Freedom Solo, but I am not too sure which version to build. It will be used mostly for lake trips and some river for up to a week or more. I will be taking my dog with me, he's a big labrador retriever. Any suggestion on which canoe to build? I am not totally commited to the Freedom Solo.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Hi Bosco,
Your answer is going to come from others, not me. However, I expect they are going to need more information.
  • * How big are you?
    * How big is that big lab?
    * Do you pack light like a backpacker, or heavy like a car-camper?
    * Do you eat steak and potatoes every night, or nothing but freeze-dried tofu and instant noodles?
    * Do you drink nothing but lake water or nothing but canned beer?
    * Do you travel sheltered or open waters?
Cheers,
Bryan (tongue planted firmly in cheek)
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

I'm 230 lbs, (hopefully a little lighter soon), the dog is only a pup but he's goign to be a big dog 90 lbs or so. I'm a light packer, freeze dried foods, lake water that sort of stuff. As far as sheltered or open water I dont know? Both I guess.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I would look for the design that best suits my "displacement" needs.
http://www.bearmountainboats.com/CanoeTechnical.htm
Bosco

Hiawatha

Post by Bosco »

I would really like to build a Hiawatha, it is what got me started on building a canoe. How would it be solo if the seat was positioned more to the middle as a solo canoe seat is?
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

How good of a canoeist are you? Have you paddle Canadian style solo before?

It should paddle fine Canadian style. I'd be a bit concerned about the width if paddling flat from the center. I'd also be slightly concern about wind issues solo when paddling from the center. I'd lower the stems.