Kayak design for Ozark rivers

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
RGrove

Kayak design for Ozark rivers

Post by RGrove »

This summer, I expect to finish a Chestnut Prospector. For my next project, I'd like to build a small kayak for running rivers in the Arkansas Ozarks. The boat will be primarily used by my 13 year old son, who's now about 5'2" and 110 pounds, but will probably be getting a growth spurt in the next year or so. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Randy Grove
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Bear Mountain Venture may be a good choice in this situation. It is a good kayak for learning new skills, performs well and your son can grow into it.

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/online ... ucts_id=47
RGrove

Post by RGrove »

Glen,

Looks interesting, although I fear my son will be too big for it in just a few years. His brother ended up at 6' and 185 lbs by the time he was 17. But I guess that would provide another excuse to build another boat, huh?

Do you know if the offsets for the Venture are included in "KayakCraft?". I really enjoyed "CanoeCraft", so I'll probably purchase "KayakCraft" before I actually start a kayak, and if offsets for a boat I want to build are in the book, that would probably clinch the deal.

Regards,

Randy Grove
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That would be the perfect excuse, errr, I mean reason to build another boat. :laughing

Yes, the Venture offsets are in KayakCraft as well three other Bear Mountain kayak designs.