Canoe feels tippy to novice

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
clicksys

Canoe feels tippy to novice

Post by clicksys »

Hello All,

I am a sea kayaker, with only basic canoeing experience. I have built and primarily paddle an 18' woodstrip kayak and a 16' S&G kayak. The Cottage Cruiser was my first stripper and only canoe so far. Compared to other typical recreational canoes I've paddled, the CC feels tippy. When the bowperson shifts laterally even a little bit, there is an alarming moment of instability. I think that it is a few inches narrower in beam than your typical recreational canoe (i.e. aluminum Grumman rental). I am accustomed to "tippiness", dealing with big wind and waves on Lake Champlain in my kayaks, but find that even small waves have a notable effect on this boat. I would welcome a second opinion, so if you are in Burlington and would like to try paddling the Cruiser, let me know. What might help? Ballast? Lowering the seats? They are currently 10" above the floor.

Thank you,
RS in Burlington VT
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Hi RS,
According to the chart at http://www.bearmountainboats.com/CanoeTechnical.htm the Cottage Cruiser "requires skill but with experience will be comfortable." So, perhaps more experience will help?

How do you sit in the canoe? That can be a big factor. Kneeling with knees spread wide and most of your weight carried by the seat (rather than your knees) will be a stable position, much more so than sitting upright on the seat. Another factor can be your build, as well as that of your partner. I have paddled with a person that was so top-heavy (the biggest head I have ever seen!) that I had to ask them to sit in the bottom of the canoe. Another factor is the load. How close are you to the design capacity? With more load, the stability gets better.

This canoe is not particularly narrow for it's length, but it is fairly short. Both beam and waterline length will affect the stability of the canoe, along with shape of the hull of course. Perhaps this canoe rides and rocks with the waves more than your narrower kayaks which maybe allow the wave to roll under you? Certainly the centrer of gravity in the canoe will be much higher and even a couple of inches can make a difference.

Cheers,
Bryan

*edited to correct a typo.