Decisions, Decisions....

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
AlisGuitars

Decisions, Decisions....

Post by AlisGuitars »

Another newbie to strip canoe building. I build custom acoustic guitars and have most of the equipment to machine my own strips and build the boat, but I need to figure out which one to build. I think I've narrowed it down to the Prospector or the Bob's special in a 16' version.
Stability is key. My wife is a little unsteady at new edeavors like this, although I'm sure she'll get used to it.
It will be used on large to medium lakes around Madison, WI. No fast rivers. Occasionally used as a solo fly-fishing boat.
Are either one of them better suited for open water wind?
Thanks.
-j.Brown
duncan

Post by duncan »

I've never paddled the Bob's Special, but I have paddled the Prospector in a variety of waters. As far as I know, the Bob's Special was intended for exactly what you are describing. On the other hand, the Prospector (by far my favourite) will feel tippy to anyone not used to canoes. It's not that it's easy to tip over at all, but "jiggles" back and forth very easily, and especially so when it's floating without a heavy load in it.

I wouldn't recommend the Prospector as a strong candidate to make an unconvinced wife feel immediately comfortable. I do recommend it as a boat with tremendous capabilities, but they are more in the areas of load carrying, safety and stability in rough water, and in gracefulness when paddled with more advanced techniques.

I have never heard of anyone complain that a Bob's Special has ever disappointed.

Good luck!

-Duncan